London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
41 to 42 of 42 messages
28/11/2011 at 18:38
When Geoffrey was Superintendent at Harlow Carr Gardens he visited our Horticultural Group in Cookridge, Leeds on many occasions. He always refused payment, and always delighted us with his warmth, humour and knowledge. If we visited the gardens he would never be too busy to escourt us and sharing his joy in the plants. When he left Harlow, he had no choice but to cancel his arranged talk to a joint meeting of three local societies. A year later he telephoned and said he wished to come to fulfil the booking he had cancelled. By that time he was in great demand by the TV and Radio. Naturally, as Chairman I was delighted. He spoke to a packed house and to my amazement, still refused to accept any payment. A truly wonderful man and outstanding gardener. Jackie Goldby (then Ramsay)
12/03/2012 at 22:18
Didn't Geoffrey present a short series called 'Mr Smith Steps Out' where he went on different walks in the Dales? I sure would like to see again/download those if anyone can help - I have had no success finding anything on the internet
email image
41 to 42 of 42 messages