London (change)
Fri 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
1 to 20 of 42 messages
02/03/2009 at 19:59
me to, ive watched many a program and got alot of knowledge from him may his memory go on forever and stay in our hearts
02/03/2009 at 21:13
I can remember watching Geoffrey with my Grandparents on Gardeners World. I am sure he inspired many a new gardener. He was always so enthusiastic.
03/03/2009 at 13:28
He is star of the garden world that loved his plants and you could tell from his shows. He one of the older gardeners that did not show off to the camera, but showed his love of plants. We need more like him that show the world the love and need for plants. I was sad to here this news a wish any of his family good wishes in this sad time for the people here on this world. He will be great gardener for gods world with Geoff Hamilton. what great garden they would make together with the others. All the love & light.
03/03/2009 at 15:40
Very sad to hear of Geoffrey Smith's death. I remember watching him on TV in the late 70's and early 80's with my dad who was also a keen veg. gardener . I recently bought a couple of his books Mr Smith's Vegetable garden (and Fruit Garden) - they are packed with useful information still relevant now, instead of full of glossy colour photos. I vaguely remember a series he made in the mid seventies from an allotment in Wythenshawe, Manchester. Wouldn't it be great if the BBC would either repeat his programmes or release them on DVD!
03/03/2009 at 16:59
geoffrey smith inspired me to garden, he was always exciting, cheerful and as a youngster he was different, Gardening was for everyone not just my dad, from novice to expert it was for all. To enjoy gardening was for him and his audiance all that mattered, yes you were encourage to try new things and yes you will make mistakes, but have a go. I have been gardening in my small garden for nearly 40 years, never an expert but always happy with the veg and flowers, and many of the many things he did and the way he did them have stayed with me all this time, as does Mr Smith veg Garden sadley going to be missed but not forgotten. Colin Howard Runcorn
03/03/2009 at 18:44
I too remember Geoffrey's programmes well. They were very enjoyable but the one I remember most is one in which he harvested a brussels sprout, cut it in two with his knife and proceeded to eat it raw!! This is something I've never yet managed to copy but I followed a lot of Geoffrey's tips.
03/03/2009 at 19:18
i remember his voice most of all.
03/03/2009 at 22:56
I had a lump in my throat when I heard that Geoffrey Smith had died. Like many others, he inspired me to take up gardening with his Mr Smith series on the BBC. At that time I was working in a factory and I would look forward to coming home each evening to work in my garden. When I was preparing the soil for planting I could here Geoffrey's voice " if you buy a ten bob plant you dig a pound hole". It was good advice from a great gardener. I would love to have met him just to say thank you.
04/03/2009 at 10:14
What an inspiration Geoffrey Smith was to me and my family. I loved watching him on television, and still refer to many of his books. My condolences to his wife and family.
04/03/2009 at 10:47
Geoffrey passed on his wealth of knowledge like a friend at the allotment rather than a teacher. His enthusiasm was so inspiring. Thank you
04/03/2009 at 15:38
What sad news about Geoffrey he was an inspiration to so many of us who watched him on gardeners world, he realy did inspire you to get out and garden.Many thanks for the joy he gave. Our thoughts are with his family.
05/03/2009 at 13:53
The horticultural has lost one of the great communicators , an inspiration to all true gardeners.
06/03/2009 at 06:43
What can I say after reading these lovely tributes to Geoffrey,they've said it all, I have watched Gardeners World from the beginning, I always loved listening to his gentle voice so full of knowlege that has created so many wonderfully expert novices.Isn't God lucky to have gained another lovely gardening expert,must be beautiful in Heaven..RIP
06/03/2009 at 13:40
A great loss to us all who have enjoyed his "nice guy next door" way of setting the seeds of gardening enjoyment.It begs the question are all gardeners nice people or do all nice people garden? Our condolensces to his family.
07/03/2009 at 08:35
I was terribly saddened to hear that we have lost Geoffery Smith. Like many others have said, he was a true inspiration to me.I watched him on tv back in the late 70's and early 80's and because of him first caught the gardening bug.I used to love hearing him on GQT on the radio, he was such an enthusiastic gardener and communicator, yes so friendly, I have many of his books and still refer to them reguarly. I did finally get to meet the great man back in 1998 and he was as approachable and as knowledgable as I knew he would be. My heartfelt condolences to his family and close friends,rest in peace Geoff.
07/03/2009 at 11:18
I was shocked to learn of the loss of another great gardener. My condolences to his family.
07/03/2009 at 15:48
I meet Geoff when they came to Lincoln to record for G.Q.T.He was a warm person.I asked the panel a question,Geoff said that if i got the seeds to grow(a tree)i wood be able to turn water in to wine.He will be missed.Love to all his family.
08/03/2009 at 15:07
I wrote to Geoffrey about my step-grandson's interest in gardening. He very kindly sent him some plants. I am very sad by his passing and send the very best wishes to hs family.
08/03/2009 at 20:57
I attended Geoffrey's funeral last Friday, a lovely ceremony at Harrogate Baptist Church. On the reverse of the Order of Service was printed a lovely short poem that the family found in the back of Geoffrey's Bible, which I thought many of you would love to read. Afterglow I'd like the memory of me to be a happy one. I'd like to leave an after-glow of smiles, when life is done. I'd like to leave an echo, whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days. I'd like the tears of those who grieve, to dry before the sun, of happy memories that I leave when life is done. Anon
14/03/2009 at 12:26
since the 1970's as a young wife and mother, I to have been infected with Gefferies huge enthusiasm for gardening especially growing vegetables in my own garden - the thrill of harvesting he had stays with me at my harvest times. I do so wish the BBC would repeat his programmes.His sincere enthusiasm has yet to be matched by any other garening presenter.
1 to 20 of 42 messages