London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
14 messages
05/03/2009 at 15:40
sadly missed ,a true gentleman.i hope i have as much knowledge as he had and indeed as much warmth
05/03/2009 at 18:13
I remember Geoffrey Smith demonstrating double digging. Amazingly, it was absolutely mesmerizing. I doubt whether any other gardener could have held one's attention for a moment let alone for the considerable time that he did. I shall miss him and his wonderful voice enormously.
05/03/2009 at 18:57
What a lovely, warm person and such a great voice. He has gone to that place where tomatoes are always without blight.
08/03/2009 at 14:54
I was so sorry to hear of the death of Geoffrey Smith. I loved to listen to him on the radio and television and enjoyed his comments and explanations and of course his humour. He was one of those brilliant people whose great knowledge made it possible for him to explain things very simply.
10/03/2009 at 11:43
what a beautiful tribute, Pippa, I am really saddened you have lost such a great friend and mentor
10/03/2009 at 18:52
His programme about alpines takes me back to my childhood and was one of the people (along with Jeff Hamilton) who started my interest in gardening. God bless
16/03/2009 at 10:38
I watched a TV program called Geoffrey Smiths vegetable garden back in the 1980s, I wonder if it’s on DVD now I would love to see it again.
11/04/2009 at 21:56
My abiding memory of Geoffrey Smith is his calmness,his patience, a sense of there being all the time in the world to talk to you, demonstrate, explain. Having just watched a frenetic, neurotic sounding edition of Gardener's World (the 1812 Overture and one image per second of roses!) I beg the producers to take a look at what Geoffrey had to offer and to think about why he made such perfect television.
26/04/2009 at 19:26
My dad met Geoffrey Smith when he came to Winchester to do a Gardeners' World item about Roy Lancaster. (My dad lived just over the fence; in fact Roy Lancaster's house was built on my dad's old allotment!) I should explain, this was a long time ago! We had a male Garrya elliptica in our back garden, and my dad was very pleased when Geoffrey Smith said it was one of the best specimens he'd seen.
16/05/2009 at 08:49
I feel a deep loss at the death of this very well informed man, like the person who commented above, I became a gardener through Geoff Hamilton and still miss his calming voice on a Friday evening.
17/05/2009 at 01:27
I will always remember Geoffrey Smith visiting our garden when I was still a child. My mum was in a gardening club he regularly gave talks to. He got down on the ground near some cyclamen and told me how he had puzzled about how seeds spread so far from the parent plants. He explained with sheer delight that he had seen ants carrying the seeds off! He also complemented my mum on the effect of a blue viola peeping through a blue picea. I am now a professional gardener...as I told him I would be.
26/09/2010 at 15:39
How about re-running some of Geoffrey Smith's gardening programmes or give viewers the choice between the 2010 and the 1980's episodes--you might be surprised at the result! We so miss the calm delivery of Geoff, Jeff and Monty.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
Hello! Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource! PS: Sorry for my bad english, I'v just started to learn this language ;) See you! Your, Raiul Baztepo
03/03/2012 at 21:52
Rabbits on the allotment! "You can throw stones at them, but woe betide you if you hit one"
Such a caring abd sensitive man. I still hum his signature tune when I go to my allotment. Such an inspiration.
email image
14 messages