London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
17 messages
16/10/2013 at 13:07
Don't forget to include ceratostigma for their wonderful combination of red autumn foliage and brilliant blue flowers.
Good grown in pots, as they trail a bit and, once the display is over, just cut down all the top growth and move to an inconspicuous corner.
16/10/2013 at 17:56

I have it already, in a flower bed, spread a bit, needs controlling, but lovely.

16/10/2013 at 18:31

Mine's in a pot because I had to remove it from the garden for new drains. It looks great and will stay in a pot

16/10/2013 at 19:20

Yes lovely shrubs.  Had Griffithi once.......richer flowers and evergreen.  Get a red dahlia behind it, a red echinacea or a coreopsis....yellow or red.....alongside it.  Or hackonochloa in front.......

Right now willmottianum is strutting it's stuff beautifully.  It is good in a pot as said but in the ground it makes a far bigger impact.

Grow many, many blue flowered plants....right now caryopteris in several varieties, campanulas, agastaches, verbena rigida, salvias in variety, linum perenne, and blue penstemon still in flower.  Did I say I like blue? 

16/10/2013 at 19:55

We didn't discuss which ceratostigma we were talking about. I'd assumed plumbaginoides because of the red. But are we?

16/10/2013 at 20:02

Willmotianum I think nut.  Never grown plumbaginoides but,that's the creeper isnt it?  Willmottianum is a shrub .....sub shrub I guess......growing to 3 or 4' high.  Foliage takes on red tints now.  Griffithii is the evergreen version but doesn't have red autumn tints.  

16/10/2013 at 20:06

I don't get much in the way of tints from willmottianum Verdun.

Is griffithii not so hardy? I grew some from seed a few years back but they died in their first winter outside.

Plumbaginoides  is stunning. I'd take you a photo if it wasn't dark

16/10/2013 at 20:20

Hiya nut

Get good red leaf colour now in wilmottianum.  Griffithi is more tender.  I had it for several years but winter wet ultimately got it I think.  Will get another now.

Yes photo will be nice.  Never actually grown plumb. Cos it spreads too much I think??

16/10/2013 at 20:44

I'll see if I can get a photo tomorrow Verdun. I haven't found it too much of a speader in the ground but I will be keeping it in a pot now. It never looked that good in the ground

16/10/2013 at 22:46

Now I've learnt something from this. Mine was labelled in the French Garden Centre as Wilmottianum, but on looking it up I'm pretty sure it's Plumbaginoides. It's not very tall and it spreads. 

16/10/2013 at 22:54

sounds like plumbaginoides. Very floppy and 'all over the place'

wilmottianum has stiff upright stems, a shrubby look to it

16/10/2013 at 23:23

I've tried this shrub twice and neither survived winter.   Callicarpa's another wusspot.

Both are gorgeous though and at their best in autumn so good value.

16/10/2013 at 23:27

callicarpa hasn't died but never looks much. It will probably be removed this winter

17/10/2013 at 09:20

A friend of mine has a stunning specimen about 5' high and wide and covered in purple berries.  She's over near Zaventem and more sheltered than my garden which is a frost pocket.

17/10/2013 at 10:14

Callicarpa does well in my cold Sheffield garden. It about 6 foot tall and smothered in berries at the moment. A bit dull earlier in year though as flowers are fairly insignificant.

Ceratostigma willmotiana doesnt seem to grow very big here but i do like the flowers and the leaf colour is fab.

I dont think that any discussion on autumn colour is complete without mentioning Asters. I have a number [ long forgotten] which types which are a riot of colour at the moment and along with sedum will probably be the lasr things flowering here.

17/10/2013 at 15:33

Autumn colour on my blueberries ,  espalier pear tree, ceratostigmas, but not much else.  Domt get great,autumn colours so near to the coast. But, stocks starting to flower and many others too.  

Its very warm here again....prob 18 at the moment.  The odd shower did occur  But they are few and far between 

17/10/2013 at 21:13

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32601.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

email image
17 messages