London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
7 messages
19/08/2012 at 21:55
Now that's one creature I've never had the pleasure of discovering. How exciting. I've stood for many an hour in the past looking upwards in the hope of seeing a shooting star around this time – I think the peak was meant to have been last weekend.
19/08/2012 at 22:15
Just back now from the Dordogne. I didn't see any more glow-worms. And, eventually the next night, just a single meteor, even thought the heavens were clear and the Milky Way looked solid enough to reach out and touch.
19/08/2012 at 22:35

I've never seen a glow-worm, either.  But my mother, who spent much of her youth in what was then rural Kent, spoke often of collecting them with my great aunt, and putting them on the rims of their hats to light the way home!  I suspect a degree or so of exaggeration here - but it's a fine story, nonetheless.

20/08/2012 at 06:11

It seems that glow-worms are in serious decline, probably due to habitat loss and pesticides, but maybe for other reasons. They prefer rough grass, and road verges were always a good place to see them. When some friends bought a house in France 20 years ago, our night walks would find thousands of them. Now it's down to just a few. Is it because the roadsides and ditches are now mercilessly mowed or are there other reasons? 

We need many more people to survey them in Britain to try to establish some baseline data, so if you've nothing better to do on warm nights in July, resolve to get out and look for them next year, and report your results to your local Wildlife Trust.

20/08/2012 at 20:21

Used to see them in my long ago youth, but it is right that it has been many years since I saw one last.  What a shame, they were a delight to us as children. 

21/08/2012 at 08:30

I live in Cornwall and have an area of old mine workings close by. I still have one glow worm glowing every night. I only saw 6 at one time this year. I think once they find a boyfriend they stop glowing so I've still got one lonely glow worm.

21/08/2012 at 21:50

I saw a glow worm last weekend just a mile or so away - this is in rural kent. Last year, in a spot called Perry Woods, near Chilham there were dozens of them about. I'd recommend that spot to any would-be glow worm hunters.

email image
7 messages