London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
11 messages
12/02/2013 at 21:45
Oh, and Iris unguilaris is at its height though it can flower for ten months of the year. Pancake day has just been and I made 32 of them. The snowdrops are beautiful. The nights are stretching out. People are making plans for holidays and garden visits. Chaenomeles is covered in flowers. The birds are returning and some have found mates already. I have peach blossom on my peach tree. The blossom is just arriving on the wild cherry trees in my spinney. And oh, the hellebores!!! There, James, another ten.
12/02/2013 at 22:02
I agree happymarion. Feb right now is glorious
13/02/2013 at 12:02
Oh, I forgot about the St, Valentine flower - the crocus. Mine have joined the snowdrops.
13/02/2013 at 12:47
And there are loads of bergenia flowers in full bloom. Hardly seems like winter when you have one of those in a pretty vase on your breakfast table.
13/02/2013 at 13:37

I think the nice thing about Feb (discounting the snow and rain)is the sudden bursting into life of plants.Pancake day i missed as to busy gooseberry bushes but just the increase of day and getting into the garden.

13/02/2013 at 19:42
I bought some iris rectulata and some bluebells in the green last week, my intenttion was to put them in when they arrive in April. They arrived yesterday. The ground is still frozen and covered in snow in parts. The bluebells have green shoots, but the iris r had buds, I couldn't dig in thr snow so kept them moist in utility rm, now iris flowers have opened up and they are dark purple with a little yellow, I am not sure what to do really. Did they send them too early? I have never planted bubs in the green before, I asked them and they said yes put them in the earth now. but the lady did not sound sure. So I am a little puzzled as what to do, a) should I wait and try to keep them alive?, should I put them in frozen and snow conditions? many thanks
14/02/2013 at 14:40

If that had hapened to me they would have been put into pots of compost and into the cold frame till the weather was better which it is now.

14/02/2013 at 21:23

The good thing about February is its getting closer to March.lol,spring is closer summer not to far away garden time beckons.

14/02/2013 at 21:57

Deena put them in pots in compost because you have had them in a utility room you will have to get them used to the outside weather again (bring them in at night for a week)  . then you can plant them when the garden has thawed bluebells and iris are hardy little plants and are used to the cold . usualy when you buy bulbs in the green it is after their flowering season and you plant them where you want them for next year 

21/02/2013 at 12:32
February is an in between month for me, not quite out of winter and not quite in spring. But I love it because there is a hint, a big hint that gardening life is on its. way again.I start to potter with all my gardening things and feel a big glimmer of excitement at the thort of growing things and of all the plants and bedding to be put in over the next few months.
It is also the time of the year where I start to think about dieting.....but that's another story.
Had my first cup of tea out on my balcony this week when it was sunny and warmish, I enjoyed it and looking forward to many more.
Today I have been watering and feeding my orchids and wondering how they are going to do this year.
21/02/2013 at 14:48

February is often the coldest month here and, although it's short, it can seem very long while waiting for the longer days of March and, one hopes, the warmer days of April.   It is currently -3C outside, plus wind chill factor and big fat driving snowflakes.    Lovely - not.

We had snowdrops in December in the sunniest and warmest spot of the garden but the later ones on the northern side, just showing now, are definitely shivering to themselves and not opening up for insect visits.   The daffs everywhere are barely 3" high and the dwarf irises, grape hyacinths and species tulips in the best drained part of the garden are not showing at all yet.   I don't blame them.

email image
11 messages