London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
6 messages
01/10/2007 at 11:38
I too grow these single dahlia bedding flowers from a seed packet. I intended to lift the tubers last autumn but the weather was so bad I had to leave them in. They all survived which is more than can be said for the slugs and snails which attacked them. I used pellets, and the result was devastating! Incidentally they do not seem to do so well in tubs or pots or even confined flower beds. I do not know the reason for this. I also grew Tally Ho, a superb red single which I first noticed at the Southport flower show, now one of my favourites, and of course I had to have the famous Bishop of Llandaff another beautiful red. I am going to leave them all in the ground for another year.
11/10/2007 at 20:02
I've had the same problems with my garlic, such a disappointment. Hopefully next year won't be as bad!
22/10/2007 at 16:16
Hi, nice tips about Dahlias, I have some (first time I have grown them), I have a south facing garden, would it be wise to leave the tubers in the ground through winter (with extra compost) or take them out and replant early spring?
23/10/2007 at 13:47
Gary, if you have a free-draining soil I'd risk leaving them in the ground, covering them with a thick mulch of compost or bark. However, if your soil is heavy clay or gets waterlogged during winter I'd suggest you lift later this month and store. Replant in pots next Feb-March, and take cuttings of new shoots to increase your stock.
21/08/2008 at 12:16
I have several different types of dahlias in pots, for the second year running, they have produced lots of foliage and no flower buds. I have been told this is known as being blind, how do I cure this?
28/11/2011 at 18:29
I too grow these single dahlia bedding flowers from a seed packet. I intended to lift the tubers last autumn but the weather was so bad I had to leave them in. They all survived which is more than can be said for the slugs and snails which attacked them. I used pellets, and the result was devastating! Incidentally they do not seem to do so well in tubs or pots or even confined flower beds. I do not know the reason for this. I also grew Tally Ho, a superb red single which I first noticed at the Southport flower show, now one of my favourites, and of course I had to have the famous Bishop of Llandaff another beautiful red. I am going to leave them all in the ground for another year.
email image
6 messages