London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
09/03/2011 at 16:22
Know exactly what you mean! Same with me. Into greenhouse twice daily to open up or close down....hopefully it'll settle down soon.
09/03/2011 at 18:40
I know exactly what you are saying - my first year with a poly tunnel, it goes from -1 over night to over 30 in the day, crazy!
09/03/2011 at 19:14
I have no greenhouse but a conservatory attached to the house which is connected to the house by patio doors into the lounge and the fluctuation in temperature is controlled by opening and closing the door. No precious heat is lost as it heats the lounge. Being double-glazed the frost does not reach the plants or seedlings. I'm sure I've blogged before about living in a garden with a house attached! But seeds are cheap so you have time to start again if disaster strikes from sowing too early.
10/03/2011 at 06:47
I have bubble wrap top to bottom with no heat and like you say temps are up and down some of the veg is coming up the best way I find is to fleece newspapers and cardboard fruit boxes from supermarkets veg shops gives that little extra protection i have delayed some crops as were a month behind anyway in the northeast
10/03/2011 at 09:05
I to have bubble wrap top to bottom in my greenhouse and a small electric heater. I don't have automatic vents so I just open the window a little bit and turn the heater off once the sun is getting onto the greenhouse. I try to time it right by switching the heater back on and closing the window early afternoon when the sun has gone, so far my seedlings are coming up really well. I have managed to keep the temp just above freezing for most of the winter.
10/03/2011 at 09:14
I heard a nice tip for helping stabilise temps in winter/spring. If you have the space, (which you should with no growbag plants at this time) move a couple of water butts into the space they would occupy. Simply fill with water and let them warm up in the day, (obviously works best in the sunniest part of ghouse)they then act as a storage heater at night and hopefully keep the ghouse temps up. Simply move them back out once the days are warm enough.
10/03/2011 at 10:27
What should be the winter minimum temperature that plants will just tick over. Fuel prices are on the up so econamy is relavant. Any Idea's???
10/03/2011 at 10:47
Depends on what plants you grow, if it's fragile stuff prob around 7C will be fine. More hardy stuff will tick over at a little bit lower than that. Obviously seedlings etc will grow a lot quicker the warmer it is. Personally I have opted for the use of panel heaters which cost pennys to run 24/7, should keep the greenhouse frost proof, which is all I will need, have a heated propagater for seeds and seedlings until they are big enough to harden off. Well that's my plan, we'll have to see what success I have.
10/03/2011 at 19:36
pippa how can i be a member of your website it keeps saying erra
10/03/2011 at 22:44
I thought it was just me, as a very new gardener and being my first year with a greenhouse I am also having trouble with fluctuating temperatures. I have been opening my green house window before I go to work and closing it when I come home. Today I saw it was going to be overcast and raining so took the decision that I did not need to open the window, as there was going to be little sun it was not going to heat up today. How wrong I was, I got home from work and went in to inspect my seeds i planted at the weekend only to see the maximum on the thermometer was 95 degrees! How wrong was I! Hope I have not killed any of them off. I am learning quickly from all the mistakes I am making. Will open window everday from now on reguardless of weather forcast. Any tips grately received.
11/03/2011 at 08:00
I keep all my seedlings in the garage i've no room for my car but every thing growing well
11/03/2011 at 14:26
It sounds like you all need to have a look at the natural plant antifreeze website - www.cropaid.com and spray your crops or seedlings with it. It has protected many crops already in many countries and you just need to dilute and spray atomized, the protection then lasts for a week or two. Have a look!
14/03/2011 at 09:57
I generally try to add enough heat to keep the temperature at 6 or 7 C and, agree this seems to do the trick as far as cold nights are concerned. It is also worth making a bubble-wrap walled area up oneend of the greenhouse and then this will keep a bit warmer still, but do remember to ventilate it as often as you can or else it may become dangerously muggy and damp! Linda, re my website,sorry, I was having the sign-up-for-news/friends of Pippa bit re-jigged last week, suspect you hit just the wrong moment, worth trying again. Just go to www.pippagreenwood.com and click on 'Free EBook', it was working a minute ago!
14/03/2011 at 20:44
Justbeginning- Being a retired heating engineer and having a greenhouse attached to the house I am in the process of installing a gas central heating system.(Very Cosy)Rads & all. I seem to rememberthat plants will just tick over ata a minimum temperature, which I have forgotten, a senoir moment, Keeping running cost down to a minimum is essential and todays modern controls are accurate to within half of one degree. So through the depths of winter I just need to keep geraniums/fuscia's growing without a great flush of growth thast ought to be starting any time now.
14/03/2011 at 20:49
Mrs Panda...If it si at all possible try fitting an automatic ventilator device.Aty my last house I had a wax filled unit which work very well for years, without any trouble.I set it to open at 60 F and it never failed. Do seak one out, they are worth while. Good luck.
14/03/2011 at 20:52
Mrs Panda...If it is at all possible try fitting an automatic ventilator device.At my last house I had a wax filled unit which work very well for years, without any trouble.I set it to open at 60 F and it never failed. Do seak one out, they are worth while. Good luck.
18/03/2011 at 18:52
My greenhouse is some distance from the mains electricity supply so I would like to have it heated by propane. (I can't stand the smell of paraffin!)I am having a lot of trouble tracing a supplier of a propane - fired greenhouse heater. Has anyone any recommendations?
18/03/2011 at 21:01
Watched the programme last week tried to watch it this week but to my disgust both were full of garden visits and very little informative content.Where is the modern day Percy Thrower .R Atkinson.
19/03/2011 at 09:12
to R. Atkinson (surely not the big Ron?) patience, this is not a great time of year for that how to stuff on tv, seedlings and cutting all look the same (on tv) so why repeat - (Monty showed us beetroot. Snowdrops can be divided as well as herbatious plants and root cuttings - And we saw all that in the last two weeks. We saw rose pruning & fruit bush pruning, and i'll bet they move an established shrub next week. A feature on summer bulbs with new info not taught in my rhs course. What else could we be shown at this time of the year? The domestic garden visit showed the anual clear up and the other visits brought us seasonal fetures like magnolias and camelias. I'll admit the Enid Blighton garden was nice but a bit pointless. That just shows you how hard it is at this time of year, but even then GW should also be as much about apreciation as learning, and it was a nice garden. I have seen Percy T and got two of his classic gardening books, and love 'em but he lived ina different age of mechanical routine and ritual of chemical sparying and feeding which is just not relivant in the more relaxed Orgaic meathod. If you want a list orders to follow at set pre-determined times try biodynamic gardening. Makes Percy look relaxed and flexible.
20/03/2011 at 12:35
What perennials could I plant this year that would bloom in May next for a wedding reception in the garden?
1 to 20 of 27 messages