London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
19/05/2012 at 09:58
I have real trouble with ground elder as my neighbour never clears it from his garden, thinks it's ground cover and although I have dug it out for many years but have been very unwell and unable to do it of late, NOW rampant, I am at my whits end.
20/05/2012 at 11:41
you mention weedkiller for this problem but what if you have veg growing there.. is it safe or does it need to be a vacant plot to use weed killer
20/05/2012 at 12:22

Gillian, your sambucus query might get more response in a new thread, as ground elder is a very different beast and people just want to get rid of it.

But for what it's worth, once sambucus is established it's very tough. You can cut it right back in the spring and it will grown new shoots. As long as yours seems alive, I'm sure it will recover. Then next spring you could try taking out a third of the biggest stems, to encourage new growth.

20/05/2012 at 13:23

Crush the leaves it starts working quicker !!      Try this method : 1) First have at hand a reasonable size polybag and position it around the weed so that the weed is contained inside- t hus seperating it from other plants ,     (2)Crush the leaves slightly , (3). Paint on a weedkiller containing gypphosalite onto the crushed leaves using a small paint brush(. this method is slower but for me it has always  worked better).

hold down with stones still use cardboard and tubes if required. 

20/05/2012 at 16:32

I have mostly rid my garden of ground elder by clearing one small area at a time and planting macrorrhizum geraniums in the area. They clump up and smother new ground elder growth. Then I have taken cuttings and repeated the process with the new plants. Seems to have worked very well and now replace the geraniums when the area is clear with different plants.

20/05/2012 at 17:14

What a good idea inverglen, may well try that on my troublesome patch, thank you

07/10/2012 at 00:27
I wish that I could broadcast this worldwide as I no longer have a ground elder problem. The solution was found in a book ('Thou bleeding piece of earth' I think)and was found on a piece of Aztec pottery. It was some time before it was realised what the decoration represented, which was a relief of marigolds amongst a crop with weeds. Eventually it was decided that this may show a way of getting rid of problem weeds and in trials it was discovered that marigolds exude from their roots a substance which is toxic to ground elder! I had a patch of g.e.which had come in under the fence from a neighbour's garden, so I planted marigolds there. One season did it - no trace of ground elder in my garden or my neighbours and it has never returned. Even if you don't like marigolds, it is worth putting up with them for 1 season to get rid of the G.E.
21/02/2013 at 10:51
I had a problem with the ground elder beginning to invade my borders in amongst established shrubs, which I didn't want to lose, I mixed up a strong solution of glyphosate in a hand spray, and used this on each leaf which I crushed with gloved hands before spraying, each new leaf which appeared got the same treatment, yes it was time consuming, but the result was worth it - my shrub is still intact and the ground elder is all but gone. A more established clump of ground elder was bruised with a rake then sprayed, which also worked well, hope this helps a fellow gardener
21/02/2013 at 11:57
I had a problem with the ground elder beginning to invade my borders in amongst established shrubs, which I didn't want to lose, I mixed up a strong solution of glyphosate in a hand spray, and used this on each leaf which I crushed with gloved hands before spraying, each new leaf which appeared got the same treatment, yes it was time consuming, but the result was worth it - my shrub is still intact and the ground elder is all but gone. A more established clump of ground elder was bruised with a rake then sprayed, which also worked well, hope this helps a fellow gardener.
01/04/2013 at 08:01

Verdone has greatly reduced ground elder in my lawn. I have also used it where I can spray safely in the flower bed. Digging out seems to have worked but still got small patches.

I will continue digging spraying and try Marigolds and geraniums!!

28/04/2013 at 22:21

Very keen to try the marigold trick. Despite several years of trying to dig it out and failing to get rid of it with glyphosate, ground elder has now spead into my asparagus bed. Can anyone tell me if the Marigolds could harm the asparagus too......obviously don't want to losse it all.

28/07/2014 at 12:22
10 years ago we dug out (or so we thought) a hideous infestation of ground elder which had come from our neighbour. We then covered the area with membrane and pebbles. A few shoots came through round the edges which I always pulled out and tried to remove the roots without disturbing the membrane. This summer we want to remodel the garden. I've started clearing the membrane to find a colony of ground elder alive and well. It has only had a little bit of light from a few shoots which have crept round the edges before I caught them. How can I get rid of this horrible plant? 10 years covered and treated and it's still going strong!
12/08/2014 at 23:34
can this pest be treated by a particular weed killer in between shrubs?
13/08/2014 at 08:00

You can paint a glyphosate weedkiller carefully onto the ground elder between the shrubs, but you must avoid contaminating the shrubs.  

After applying the weedkiller leave them until they have died down and turned brown.  This indicates that the poison has travelled back into the roots and they have also been killed.  If you remove the leaves too soon the roots will regrow. 

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages