London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 34 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
thank - you for the handy tip!
24/11/2011 at 15:27
Agree with the advice given. This has been my tactic for the last 8 years and I am still pulling out shoots of ground elder. I clear the soil when replanting and nip out any green shoots when they appear. I have been known to resort to systemic weedkiller. Try pushing a cardboard tube or small box over the offending shoot before spraying which will keep the spray off nearby plants.
24/11/2011 at 15:28
I will never manage to rid my garden of ground elder as my nieghbours tend not to look after their gardens so the problem is ongoing,even the weed killer is useless, but we keep on trying.
24/11/2011 at 15:28
The advice is sound. The only way to rid yourself of the horribly pernicious weed is patient hard work. I have an infestation that came with the mature garden and, in keeping at the problem, I have managed to isolate the weed into one patch. It has become significantly weaker over the last three years and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Now... bindweed.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I have sprayed it with glyphos and it has some how managed to evade my aim with the spray. It is utterly relentless. Started digging it out again and hoeing it down, I just hope it begins to take the hint.....
We have this problem coming through from our neighbours garden and I've been at it for two years. I actually thought that it was my fault when it came back this year. This article and the comments make me feel a bit better, not so much as my fault then?? Will keep at it next year and the one after and after that, etc, etc.
The soil is black or brown & area is humid around 375 mtr above sea level (mediteranien), pls advise that whice fruit tree is suitable ?
(like avocado tree is suitable for this area?)

Note : irregation water are available
24/11/2011 at 15:30
We have this problem coming through from our neighbours garden and I've been at it for two years. I actually thought that it was my fault when it came back this year. This article and the comments make me feel a bit better, not so much as my fault then?? Will keep at it next year and the one after and after that, etc, etc.
28/03/2012 at 21:11
I have inherited ground elder in my new garden. It is covering the rockery, and proving difficult to eradicate. I have spent months digging and hoeing, and have now made a decision to buy a weedkiller in order to save my good plants from this hideous creeping thing!
02/04/2012 at 11:52

We have an area approx. 160 square meters at the end of our garden which is thick with ground elder and nettles. It is partly shaded by trees and we would like to turn it into a  wild area with lots of spring bulbs and willd flowers! But how do we get rid of the ground elder and nettles? Would covering it in black plastic for a year do it?

Any other suggestrions?

08/04/2012 at 16:18
We have excessive ground elder in our lawns and it is virtually impossible to dig it all out. Would a lawn 'Weed and Feed' product have any effect?
Any suggestion for eradicating this nuisance would be most welcome.
09/05/2012 at 08:55
Should you compost ground elder or will it survive the process and spread more than ever? My husband insists on putting it in the compost and I think it is spreading more since then.
09/05/2012 at 11:46

I have it coming under the fence from next door and try to dig it up as soon as I spot it. Think I'll have some killer handy for the summer months as it tends to grow rapidly then. I would not put it in my compost bin, as the blighter is rampant given half a chance and would not want it all over the garden. It's the dustbin for my bits!

09/05/2012 at 14:06

i hate this stuff i have it from neighbours both sides..they do not do gardening!! i have green thumb come round and do my lawns.. they will spray the stuff for me with their stronger chemicals.. they said shops bought stuff doesnt have the strong stuff in (health and safety) well their stuff works.. kills it off.. but more just comes through..so have to just keep diggig it up... drives me mad.

09/05/2012 at 16:20

I wouldn't compost the roots, just in case they regenerate somehow, but I think the foliage is OK to compost. I have a problem with this too, all the more since we removed a big conifer, allowing more light to a wild part of the garden, which seems to please the ground elder.

Guinea pigs enjoy eating the foliage if you feed it to them (not after spraying, of course!). This probably means it's safe for us to eat too, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth doing so. Anyone tried it?

16/05/2012 at 08:25

I cleared a bed of old roses and herbaceous perennials of ground elder by planting geranium endressii - probably "wargrave pink".It grows so rampantly that it will smother and kill most weeds.Even nettles struggle to compete with it.It would probably be best to move any more delicate perennials you wish to keep before planting.

16/05/2012 at 10:32

Yes, ground elder was known as Bishops Wort.  It was brought here by the Romans, who used a tea made from the young shoots to ease the pain of, among other things, gout.  Only Bishops could afford to eat well enough to get gout it was thought, hence Bishops Wort.  it does make a good tea for anyone with pain from osteoarthritis, as it is mildly sedative and really does help with the aches after a good day weeding it out.

We cannot get rid of it as the garden backs onto an old quarry - where ground elder reigns supreme.  it is quite satisfying to drink the tea, some slight revenge I suppose.

Ground elder tea: Take a good cupful of very young leaves, steep in boiling water for two or three minutes.  Strain well, sweeten with a little honey if liked, drink warm just before bedtime.   It tastes and smells a bit like cabbage water, but is not actually revolting, I think they were on to something there.  Pity it became such a detested weed. 

16/05/2012 at 10:33

I have that and do what other people do' dig it out' but I agree with the lady with wargrave pink dont know what that is but it seems to be working so maybe a good ground cover plant might solve the problem.

16/05/2012 at 10:39

can someone give me advice on what to do with a sambucus I have had for a few years. It has bloomed brilliantly but I think I have cut it back at the wrong time,, in the autumn when the flowers started to wilt I thought it was time for the chop. It hasnt started to bud up yet. have I lost it and dig it up or wait a bit longer.

17/05/2012 at 21:14
try verdone it works but wait till late spring so that it has grown well and applt twice in a one month period and jobs gone
1 to 20 of 34 messages