Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Ground elder

thank - you for the handy tip!

• Agree with the advice given. This has been my tactic for the last 8 years and I am still pulling out shoots of ground elder. I clear the soil when replanting and nip out any green shoots when they appear. I have been known to resort to systemic weedkiller. Try pushing a cardboard tube or small box over the offending shoot before spraying which will keep the spray off nearby plants.
  • I will never manage to rid my garden of ground elder as my nieghbours tend not to look after their gardens so the problem is ongoing,even the weed killer is useless, but we keep on trying.
  • The advice is sound. The only way to rid yourself of the horribly pernicious weed is patient hard work. I have an infestation that came with the mature garden and, in keeping at the problem, I have managed to isolate the weed into one patch. It has become significantly weaker over the last three years and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Now... bindweed.
  • I have sprayed it with glyphos and it has some how managed to evade my aim with the spray. It is utterly relentless. Started digging it out again and hoeing it down, I just hope it begins to take the hint.....
  • We have this problem coming through from our neighbours garden and I've been at it for two years. I actually thought that it was my fault when it came back this year. This article and the comments make me feel a bit better, not so much as my fault then?? Will keep at it next year and the one after and after that, etc, etc.
  • acuraacura Posts: 1
    The soil is black or brown & area is humid around 375 mtr above sea level (mediteranien), pls advise that whice fruit tree is suitable ?
    (like avocado tree is suitable for this area?)

Note : irregation water are available
  • We have this problem coming through from our neighbours garden and I've been at it for two years. I actually thought that it was my fault when it came back this year. This article and the comments make me feel a bit better, not so much as my fault then?? Will keep at it next year and the one after and after that, etc, etc.
  • I have inherited ground elder in my new garden. It is covering the rockery, and proving difficult to eradicate. I have spent months digging and hoeing, and have now made a decision to buy a weedkiller in order to save my good plants from this hideous creeping thing!
  • Rose7Rose7 Posts: 5

We have an area approx. 160 square meters at the end of our garden which is thick with ground elder and nettles. It is partly shaded by trees and we would like to turn it into a  wild area with lots of spring bulbs and willd flowers! But how do we get rid of the ground elder and nettles? Would covering it in black plastic for a year do it?

Any other suggestrions?

• NivagNivag Posts: 1
    We have excessive ground elder in our lawns and it is virtually impossible to dig it all out. Would a lawn 'Weed and Feed' product have any effect?
    Any suggestion for eradicating this nuisance would be most welcome.