London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
06/09/2012 at 18:29

I have grown from seed Radish - Carrots - Beetroot - and Spring Onions in my small

garden. The foliage grew strongly but with only a thin 'straddle' of root to show for my effort from each of the above.

My first attempt, never tried 'em before, what on earth did I do wrong?

Any 'help' most appreciated.

14/09/2012 at 11:48
Can anyone give me advice on deterring cats from messing on my garden. It doesn't matter if it is freshly dug soil or not they will find a spot. Thank you.
14/09/2012 at 22:10

Hi 'Dambuster.'

I had a similar problem with a cat, so I obtaied a cat-litter tray and placed it in the garden. The cat used that in preference to the garden soil.

Worth a try?

15/09/2012 at 08:16
John from north London. wrote (see)

I have grown from seed Radish - Carrots - Beetroot - and Spring Onions in my small

garden. The foliage grew strongly but with only a thin 'straddle' of root to show for my effort from each of the above.

My first attempt, never tried 'em before, what on earth did I do wrong?

Any 'help' most appreciated.

John, how much direct sun did they get? They all need as much as possible. Carrots, in particular, also need very friable soil without lumps, stones or any other obstacles.

15/09/2012 at 09:29
dambuster wrote (see)
Can anyone give me advice on deterring cats from messing on my garden. It doesn't matter if it is freshly dug soil or not they will find a spot. Thank you.

Slight irrelevant to the topic being discussed-you would be best to start a new discussion-then you  will get replies from cat-lovers and cat-haters or search the forum for previous discussions

15/09/2012 at 09:56
Hi everyone, best way to grow carrots is to keep it simple. Get a good size pot or plastic bin with straight sides, (think how long a carrot is then add another two few inches)make a few holes in the bottom for drainage and stand it on some bricks or pebbles how every high u wish just so that water can drain out.
Mix half compost and half garden sand and fill your container leaving a couple of inches at the top and dampen
Make 10mm grooves and put seeds in one every 4inches or scatter sead but very sparingly (less seeds means you wont have to prick out later) and cover lightly with compost. Keep soil moist, if you see two carrots growing together you can take one out or leave them cause one will grow bigger anyway.
If its in spring you can put four sticks around the inside of the container and wrap a layer (about 6inches wide)plastic or fleece around to protect from carrot fly that only flies a couple of feet from the ground, if in summer carrot fly isn't around so no need. Water as needed and check carrot growth by gently moving the soil around the top with your finger to see the shoulder of the carrot, pull up gently as required. Hope this helps.
15/09/2012 at 12:00

Hello, and thanks Italophile and Passionate.

I did all that and still had a poor result. I purchased a rectangular 'Wicker' container and half filled it with 'Grow-Bag' soil. Placed in a sunny(ish) spot and the seeds were deep enough in the container in order to avoid carrot-fly and other 'enemies.' Planted in late April maybe we had too much rain and cool weather? They are still within the container, maybe we'll have lovely fresh carrots for Christmas lunch...!!!  

Thanks for you advice and help, I will 'take on board' everything you suggested again next year.

05/05/2013 at 09:07
when is the fleece removed from the carrots
08/05/2013 at 03:55

bump

08/05/2013 at 05:44

Hi 'Pash'.

"Bump?"

08/05/2013 at 06:07

Please translate "bump"?!

08/05/2013 at 06:16

I think Pash is 'bumping' the threads up to try to push the spam down. 

30/08/2013 at 08:25
My first year of trying this,
will let you know,
email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages