London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
14 messages
02/04/2012 at 20:18
i only have a very small garden and an even smaller veg patch,which is in fact our front garden that my husband has built raised beds in for me. have managed quite well so far but every year i try and grow something different and new(to me). this year its celeriac. the seeds are growing nicely on my windowsill and each morning i rush down to see how everythings doing and to try and talk them all into growing into big strong plants!!! any tips on celeriac growing will be appreciated!!
03/04/2012 at 16:11
I've bought three yellow pelargomium plants, Adam. The leaves are lime green and no markings on although they are zonal pelargoniums but I shall be watching with interest to see if they can earn a place in my yellow Olympic Ring.
03/04/2012 at 16:14
I have grown celeriac, Susie Fox, and they need lots of rich compost or manure. They are gross feeders. But well worth the effort as it is a delicious vegetable.
03/04/2012 at 20:50
thanks for that happymarion. are they a bit like courgettes in that they like compost to grow on? like the sound of yellow pelargoniums. can i ask where you got them from or if you tell me will you have to kill me!!
04/04/2012 at 09:15
I would grow your celeriac in a bed of the richest compost you have - JI no3 with equal oart of horse manure was my recipe for large ones like big nobbly swedes. The yellow pelargoniums came from Spalding Plant and Bulb co though they got them from Bakker in Holland. I am sure the BBC do not mind us passing on such information as they do so themselves when it is something out of the ordinary. We'll see.
04/04/2012 at 20:40
what a coincidence!! This morning i received a package of art materials and inside were some leaflets including a spaldings catalogue and there inside were the yellow pelargoniums!! have just logged on now and seen your message.Have already sent my order off!! Thanks for the Celeriac advice..my seedlings are doing well and ive promised them all the poo they could ever want if they will just be strong!! Is it sad to name your seedlings....?
10/04/2012 at 14:37

We must compare notes on the yellow pelargoniums,Susie.  Mine are growing strongly.  They were quite big plants when they came.  Of course it is not sad to name your seedlings.  The sad thing is to follow the herd!  I am sure Adam would agree.  The more indivifduality, the more biodiversity, the stronger the life on earth, including the human soecies.  Good luck with your celeriac.

13/04/2012 at 20:09
Am waiting with bated breath for my yellow pelargoniums,Marion. The post lady is already fed up with me asking "any plants?"every morning!! As to my celeriacs....when I planted the seeds I'd rush down each morning to see if anything was stirring and when after a few days nothing had happened and being slightly impatient I flung more seeds in and now I am awash with celeriac seedlings far too many to name!! Luckily we have a plant sale in the village soon so I can donate the surplus and encourage the whole community to grow them!! A lesson learned I hope!
20/04/2012 at 21:29

I've sown some snake gourds for my friends children. They love it in the garden and thought it would be nice for them to see the plants grow then paint the snakes after they had dried. I've 5 seedlings producing their true leaves but not really sure how many snakes are going to grow on each plant or what to do next. Will they grow out in the garden or should they be grown in the GH. I'm thinking 2 snakes each child to paint so want at least 6 snakes. Tips would be welcome.   

26/04/2012 at 23:17

I take it no one has grown snake gourds before

01/05/2012 at 11:19
Are not caladium what we call foliage begonias? They can look stunning indeed, look forward to hearing how you get on with them from seed.
01/05/2012 at 13:23

I grew celeraic, really easy to germainate, grows easily in plenty muck......however they were just tops no root developed (as in the bit you eat), what a disappointment. I composted them instead so not alll wasted effort.

01/05/2012 at 13:26

I have just bought a green gage though, as I stole some fruit from a tree nearby and they were really good, very tasty.

02/05/2012 at 18:48

I'm trying swiss chard and salsify for the first time this year. No idea what to do with them if they grow, but they must have looked good in the catalog!

email image
14 messages