London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
11 messages
29/03/2010 at 14:13
Thank you for the useful websites, James. in the Rockies National Park in Canada you can see forest gardening as done by nature - gooseberries, black currants, raspberries, abound under the trees as well as lots of fungi and edible tips of fern fronds.
30/03/2010 at 09:54
Fab post - and even though you might need a bit of room for a complete forest garden it's the principles that are the most exciting part - and how people take those principles and work them into their space and into their other ideas. Works perfectly well in an urban setting or small garden, you just drop one or two of the higher tiers (canopy, larger shrubs etc). Forest gardens meeting with the usual domestic setting is going to be a fascinating space to watch over the next few years and the future of the whole grow your own thing.
30/03/2010 at 10:10
Lovely idea although I think we need the Forest Gardening Cookbook to really have this idea take off. I'm quite adept at a rhubarb crumble and raspberry jam, but have had little use so far in the kitchen for hosta leaves, solomon seal shoots or daylilies.
31/03/2010 at 19:32
hi just startig to grow our own vegs we a small garden with south faceing in ipswich we got some old runing boards can we use them to put veg in they are 10ft long 6inch wide
02/04/2010 at 19:56
i also had trouble in my garden with the mice eating my crocus bulbs so i set traps early evening and took them in early morning to avoid catching any little birds and i managed to catch 115 in 3 months so this is a handy tip to help you keep your sweet peas safe
04/04/2010 at 20:33
why are surfinias seeds not available commercially,is there a gap in the market?
05/04/2010 at 10:17
Gardeners World on Friday 2nd April Great edition - very informative until you got to the piece about planting potatoes. We all had to rush out and find a tape measure to convert the information to Imperial. So you suceeded in cutting out the very large percentage of us who don't have metric as their first language. I know it is a pain but you should do it in both Imperial and Metric. I see that the RHS's the " Garden " is now doing both again. Thank you
08/04/2010 at 22:10
I had to smile when my indignant daughter was ranting when her nieghbour was suprised to find crocus's growing in her garden wich she hadn't planted, but all my daughter's plants had dissapearedwe've gathered that the squirrels had stolen them and buried them next door, they were the lovely striped variety that we got from gardener's world.
10/04/2010 at 18:42
@ Anthony Hole I'm 42 and have grown up with the metric system, and was taught it. Yet I can also cope with imperial. It's not that difficult to approximate between the two systems. The potatoes won't mind if you get it wrong by an ince (or rather 2.5cm) either way.
15/04/2010 at 21:01
some good advice i have tryed some of these with great rerults
28/11/2011 at 18:40
Nice post, James. Would love the space for a forest garden, even the name conjures up a more romantic notion about growing your own than veg patch does.
email image
11 messages