Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Grow Yourself Healthy: July

And don't they all look lovely too. especially tomatoes. I'm hoping to put red stripy tomatoes in pots in my front garden display for the Bristol in bloom competition -and I can make out the stripes already. Lots of lovely spring onions and potatoes ready to harvest before the blight. I too have noticed a massive yield of blackberries to go with the gigantic yield of apples. I made a huge pot of soup all from produce from the garden today - quite yummy. Sugar peas are great, not just for soup but raw in salads.

• Me too! The first tomato of the season is the best summer treat their is. Mine however was from the greenhouse as the outdoor tomatoes (a bush type the same as in the green house) are sickly little thing with only 5 leaves and 2 very small green tomatoes. I blame the warm April weather that tricked them into fruiting far too early then the shock of the normal spring weather that followed. Did everyone have this trouble was their something that I could have doen to save them?
  • A good tip to save your tomato plants from adverse weather conditions is to watch the colour of the leaves, kpat. They will become a bluey green colour if it is too cold, instead of the fresh ,bright green of a good plant. So, if turning blue, give more heat. Tomatoes like a temperature about 70 in old money so the hot early summer did not suit them and seeds started off late are giving better plants.
  • My greenhouse tomato's are growing really well. This morning Ive just potted on a side shoot that I have rooted in a jar of water, got really strong roots on it. We have had some lovely rain here in Bournemouth and it has freshened everything up in the garden.
  • My tomatoes are also doing well and I have some side shoots in a pot of water hopefully, they will root. I am just a few days away from picking the first runner beans, I cannot wait!
  • Thanks All, an interesting blog for me as despite gardening for over twenty years this is the first year we have grown fruit & vegetables! My tomatoes are outside and despite them being good big plants they aren't fruiting yet. The leaves I would say are a little bluey grey so I think I will need to move them into our 'new' greenhouse this weekend! We have however had a nice crop of peas,
    carrots and spring onions which are just full of flavour!
    Now that we have the greenhouse I will attempt a few other things next year which is an exciting prospect (and mouth watering! LOL)

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/

Higgy
  • Hi Higgy, Ive got tomato's outside as well and mine aren't fruiting yet either so don't worry. They are growing really well and are really strong plants. Good luck with yours.
  • Just picked my first ten tomatoes - Perle Garten outside in hanging baskets - the five varieties in the greenhouse aren't even blushing yet!.
  • Hi I'm not sure if anyone can help.. last year I planted an apple tree that is trained as an espalier - it currently has 2 tiers and the first proper crop of apples is looking great but.... only the left side of the espalier is bearing fruit and growing well. The right nad side of the espalier has had no fruit and although it has had leaves growing etc there has been very little growth can anyone help me get this sorted?
  • I'm a big fan of growing and eating your own produce, but I have lost count of the number of times I have proudly served up home-grown produce only to find a caterpillar slowly making its way across the plate. It has become a bit of a family joke. No matter how thoroughly I wash and check the produce they just seem to slip through. More trials and tribulations from my allotment antics are at http://lottienews.blogspot.com/
  • can someone help me iv a m28 apple tree do you need 2 of them to pollinate