London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
13/07/2010 at 08:59
I must have a go at growing them next year. Can some be sown in the autumn to produce earlier crops?
13/07/2010 at 12:10
Growing Broad Beans in my garden is slightly traumatic as the resident Jackdaws will pull up the young seedlings and eat the seed bean, and when the crop is almost ready, they descend in droves and strip the pods of their contents. This year however, a fruit cage has done the trick, still black fly and the lack of water this year to contend with. The end product though, is absolutely marvellous, and the added bonus is nobody else in the family likes them, so they are all mine!!
14/07/2010 at 09:38
I've just pulled my first row of beans from the ground, the roots have a covering of nodules, white in colour, crinkly balls, anyone know if these will be OK to compost or do dispose of them??
14/07/2010 at 10:38
Reply to kparry: Well spotted. These are the nodules produced on roots containing nitrogen fixing bacteria. These are really beneficial, and so roots can either be left in the soil or added to the compost heap. They'll release nitrogen as they decompose, and this is a useful nutrient that following crops will be able to take up.
14/07/2010 at 10:56
what is the best killer to use to kill the roots to bamboo
14/07/2010 at 11:35
Thanks for the advice Adam
16/07/2010 at 06:53
I need to harvest mum and dad's dwarf french beans (they're away until the middle of August). Once picked is it best to freeze them and do you have to blanch them first?
18/07/2010 at 08:58
In reply to bean feast's question, I sow broad beans in october as well as Feb,March & April. I lost 50% of last years October crop due to the extremely cold winter, but the other 50% gave me beans a good two weeks before the Feb crop. I am waiting for the surplus beans now to make wine with, I did it last year and got a fab sweet fortified wine.
19/07/2010 at 21:10
My broad beans looked good when I harvested them, but when I opened them, some of them were completely empty - no beans at all inside although they looked swollen and full of beans. Any ideas why?
20/07/2010 at 10:15
Reply to Tina: Check back to last September's issue of Gardeners' World Magazine where we published a comprehensive feature on preserving fruits and crops. For beans, blanch in boiling water for one and a half minutes, then plunge into cold water. Pat dry and freeze in a single layer on a foil covered tray. Once frozen, pack in portion sizes in freezer bags, sealing their top. Label and date bags. French beans can be stored for about 12 months.
20/07/2010 at 15:46
Can anyone tell me why my broad beans have shrivelled and died? They did have a particularly bad attack of blackfly even after pinching out the tips, i sprayed them with a soap and water mix and removed as much as i could with my fingers when watering. The leaves started to go brown then the stems then the pods shrivelled, I've heard of something called "chocolate spot", do my beans have it and how can i prevent it happening again?
22/07/2010 at 11:18
When growing cucumbers outside/inside do you pick off flowers as cucumber is growing or before etc. I was told pick off flowers otherwise you get no cucumbers. I did not but still got cues. A pal of mine did not pick off flowers but is getting a yellow cue? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Dennis
18/08/2010 at 12:51
I need some advice on when to pick some dwarf broad beans I've grown in a pot. There are about a dozen pods all at varying stages with the largest measuring about 6" long. Would they be ok to pick now? Sorry if the question is a bit simple but it's my first year growing anything (my wife's the gardener). I've grown carrots in a pot with some success but this year is a trial run so I can have a real go next year
18/08/2010 at 22:12
Broad beans are notorious for black fly. How do you prevent them from getting fly and what is the best way to get rid of them?
23/08/2010 at 16:39
I grew two tomato plants on my patio this year. I've started picking the red ones, but find the skins are quite tough. Where have I gone wrong?
24/08/2010 at 12:42
Pennybont: it all depends on variety. Some tomato varieties have thicker skins that others, so choose one next year that doesn't have such thick skin.
24/08/2010 at 16:29
i have grown five plum tomatoe plants and all if not most of the fruit has gone black and rotten on the bottom of each one i have spoken to other people and theirs have gone the same way can you enlighten me why
26/04/2011 at 20:49
I have just harvested the last of my broad beans here in spain and some of the larger pods have redish beans in them. Can anyone tell me if these are ok to eat or should i discard tham. Thanks.
20/06/2011 at 18:31
To Terry...I am afraid that is probably tomato blight which affects a whole area hence other people near you having the same. Best thing is to pull them up and burn them, you don't want the bacteria in your compost!
05/07/2011 at 10:59
i live in a very cold area of the uk (boat of garten) near aviemore i am growing broad beans for the first time this year as runner beans grow here but you only get a cropping time of 2-3 weeks as we get frost until early - mid june and again in september some times late august. my broad beans have been flowering now for atleast 3 weeks and are around 1 meter tall i chose a very hardy variety which people in the south overwinter (aquadulace) the lower flowers have shriveled and started to fall off with no sign of a bean pod forming it hasnt been overly hot here and we have had rain almost every day and on the few days we didnt have rain i have watered copiuosly am i being impaitent or am i doing something wrong? normally runner beans flower and within a week beans are forming there are plenty of bees etc around them mainly bumble bees
1 to 20 of 23 messages