Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Growing aquilegias

happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591
One of my tasks at the Bristol Bot. Garden recently was to pot up Semiaquilegia adoxoides, three to pot for our plant sale. I was allowed to take home any odd ones so i was delighted when two were spare, as I too love aquilegias. Of course mine were given a pot each and now one has a bud. After my self-sown bluebells and forget-me-nots have finished their show in my garden the aquilegias, quaking grass, poppies and mileum aureum - the golden grass , take their place. The aquilegias are particularly fine this year with lots od white ones. I have no idea where they have come from.

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

i do not know either but i love them also.. my garden has them scattered all around.image

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 487
    I have these in my garden, I originally grew mine from seed and now they are scattered around the front garden. They look so delicate I really love them and they never disappoint.
  • oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244
    3 years ago I was building an extension on the back of someone's house,In the garden was a dark blue Aquilegia the owner gave me some seed and I broadcast them on ground that had not grown Aquilegias before,The next year I had lots of pink flowered Aquilegias no blue at all, last year I had just one dark blue and this year I have just one come up all the others are pink again, just goes to show you don't know what expect from seed.

Oldchippy.
  • So..... how do you grow them?

Is it best to collect the seed and sow straight away or early next year?

Or wait for them to self seed and spread... or divide?

Disappointed that the title 'Growing Aquilegias' did not tell me how to grow them!
  • FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Mine just self seed with no help at all. However, they are the standard purpley pink ones. Any time I have bought and planted coloured varieties, they 'disappear' after a year or two.

april jones.. yes i thought the same.. but i tend to sow seeds when the plant would have natuaral finished flowering and self seeding so for aquilegias that is end of may middle of june.. otherwise i do not know.. but i have found better sucess with letting them self seed and digging up little ones when growing.. as seeds i have not had much luck with.. maybe 5 out of every 10 sown.. so happymarion how do you grow them as i love them.
  • Be careful what you wish for,I also loved aquilegias but now they are taking over my small front garden,they just pop and seed everywhere even in the cracks of paveing they seem to like my chalky soil.

• Karen7Karen7 Posts: 9

Now that the warmer weather is with us in Yorkshire our aquilegias are getting ready to flower, albeit a little later than usual. however, in my mums garden, just on the other side othe the Pennines, hers are flowering their socks off. Also have some young aquilegia growing for next year, called sunshine.

Aqueligias are easy to grow and the seed can be collected and sown straight away on the surface of your potting compost and covered with grit, and left in cool shady spot. They are also good at self seeding everywhere, but I dont tend to have this as I deadhead the plant to keep flowing as long as possible then take any seed heads for sowing into trays. As for division, im not sure that you can with this plant, but I could be wrong.

@karen7.. thanky you veyr much for that information.. image

• TaskerTasker Posts: 29

Also had some blow in's appear in my garden, never had them before or sown seed either. Love these types of self sown visitors.