Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Growing broad beans

I am sure that I read somewhere that putting down holly leaves will deter mice from eating newly planted peas or beans.

• Why not invest in the cheaper end of the cloche market -a couple of low profile 1x mtre polytunnels or similar won't cost the earth - your beans will race away from a late autumn start - and you can switch the cloches to protect and start off spring sowings of other plants once the beans are up and running around March.
  • I have found Aquadulce do well from a direct sowing in November.
  • After watching program on Friday i would like to get my hands on free compost for the children's day nursery that i work in to fill our raised beds that the children will grow veg in . I live in Torquay does any one know some contact names and numbers? I'm finding this difficult as we are not a charitable organisation. Please Help!
  • Have some banana plant seeds that i have soaked for 24 hours i then planted them in pots 3 weeks ago but the seeds are still hard what am i doing wrong.
  • Could you please tell me what ingredients make up a good seed compost, like Monty's. Thanks
  • Beans started in pots three weeks ago. Nearly ready for planting outside.
  • Hiya,
    Our broad beans went into the ground last November and are just now coming into flower. My students are very pleased that they have something growing in their new vegetable bed. The frost & snow beat them down a bit, but we've tied them to their wig-wam now, so they are fine.
    Hope yours are going to be OK.
  • Broad Beans usually do well if planted in early winter or early spring, say March, weather permitting. Planting them directly in the ground may mean a few are lost to mice, crows etc, but the remainder will easily survive all but the harshest weather. It is part of gardening to lose some plants, just ensure that you have enough left over to plant when the weather gets warmer.
  • We have found that over wintered Aquadulce beans do not suffer so much from blackfly, we have had an allotment for three years,the first year we grew spring sown beans but had lots of blackfly but sowing them in november they seam to miss the blackfly and we seam to have a bigger crop. They also are quite able to take whatever weather we have.
  • Planted out broad beans tonight,these have been growing in pots for a month now ,and have reached about 20cms in hight. Also planted out onions grown from seed and sown broad beans direct in ground.