London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 59 messages
20/04/2009 at 16:18
I planted several varieties nearly 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for them to show. They are lovely plants to look at, I freeze or dry the chillies and use them all year round.
21/04/2009 at 19:36
I have sown 2 lots of Chilli Seeds, the first didn't take at all, lets hope the 2nd lot will. Here's hoping, this is my first year with Chilli's and no success so far!!!
21/04/2009 at 20:10
I grew Chilli's last year and had a huge harvest, I dried most of them and put some in olive oil, had a great success. This year I have tried different varieties of Chilli and look forward to seeing how they do !
22/04/2009 at 08:10
Do be patient, as I've found germination can take 4 weeks or longer for some varieties. While some of my chilli seeds germinated in 2-3 weeks, one one seed of my 'Bhut Jolokia' has germinated from seed sown on March 25. So at least I'll have one plant of the World's Hottest Chilli to grow this year!
22/04/2009 at 09:15
I have had real problems with getting my seeds to germinate this year I have now got about 6 different plants after seeding about 30 pots. I am going to try a second seeding if it’s not too late? I had loads last year and found that the best way to keep them was straight from the plant to the freezer. I then chop them up still frozen and add to dishes as required.
22/04/2009 at 21:05
I have been growing chilli's for a few years now and find the most effective way to germinate the seed is on a sunny windowsill above a radiator, most will germinate within 2 weeks though some still take upto 6 weeks and more. The easiest to grow are Cayenne, Jalapeno, Nu Mex Twilight and habanaro orange (very hot!) and the most difficult being Chiltepin, up to 12 weeks germination. If you bring the plants indoors in the Autumn they will produce a higher yield in the second year and can last up to 7 years. Oh, and don't forget to save some seeds!
24/04/2009 at 15:22
I have been growing chillies for many years now. Most people this time of year find their chillies can suffer from a lack of light so it can be worth investing in some lights to get them a head start. Also earier varieties such as apache, cayenne and jalapeno will give you higher yields of fruit in a much quicker time. Also at the end of the season try and over winter them to get a head start on next year!! I've written quite a few articles on growing chillies here: http://www.thechilliking.com Good luck with them!!!
24/04/2009 at 18:59
I retired to Turkey and now listen to shows on the net. Our season is quiet differant but we do grow english plant and veg .this year i have managed to grow rhurbarb. Due to the heat in summer we keep moving it to coolest site house. Veg cause us problems to, as the locals grow beans and peppers over nov,to march and sweet peas have to be planted in november to flower in april. Get confusing when reading seed packets. would love to hear from any one retired over seas.
24/04/2009 at 19:09
i planted my chilies 4 weeks ago, i have now repotted them and they are growing quick. The now r about 6 inches tall. Hope the produce as good as crop as last year, got almost 500 chilies :)
25/04/2009 at 09:06
:)
25/04/2009 at 09:07
i planted carrots and they got eaten last yr
25/04/2009 at 18:05
hi i'm new to gardening and came across your show by accident. now i'm absolutely hooked. i am keen to know what the flowering tree in the foreground of the show is. It comes on in the 42 minute just after Toby visits Sara Cox. I think it might be a cherry blossom but I'm not sure. I used to live abroad so I'm not familiar with them. I see the all over the neighbourhood at the moment and love them. Hope you can help.
25/04/2009 at 18:39
I set seeds for chillies and peppers on my kitchen windowsill and the seedlings have been ravaged by white fly. I have tried using spray (although I would prefer not to) and 'washing' them off by hand. If all else fails, using basil as a 'loss leader' should draw them off - those pesky creatures love basil more than anything else.
25/04/2009 at 19:04
Thanks for bringing GW back to reality. The new series has good practical info about everyday gardening - not about vast herbacecous borders, orchards and wildflower meadows which the majority of people cannot relate to.
26/04/2009 at 12:27
I am growing chillies for first time this year, 2 varieties, Lemon Drops and Pretty in Purple (http://www.realseeds.co.uk/hotpeppers.html). Into a heated propagator in late Jan at first, they bolted up...YIKES...out of the heat into the warm kitchen windowsill (SE facing) light. Now they are growing SOOOOO slowly I am not sure they'll be big enough to produce anything this year :( I am potting them on into bigger pots (9x9cm) this w/e and continuing with a liquid feed (npk 777) weekly. Any other tips, other than patience and plenty of warmth an light?
30/04/2009 at 18:48
This is my second year of growing chillies. I find that if you put them somewhere were they are not under direct sunlight they do well. I am growing two difeerent chillies. Cayenne and Big sun it like the scotch bonnet. I started them off in February and I am hoping to get a better yield than last year.
01/05/2009 at 20:01
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice if I may. I got a chilli growing set for Christmas and planted them (as per instructions) mid March using Jiffi pellets, growing food and in a propigator I bought online. All the seeds have sprouted and grown ok, but they've all since wilted and died. They get to about 2 inch high with 2 main leafs and 2 smaller leafs but after that they start flopping and there's no reviving them. The propigator sits on an economy 7 heater set to low ( max temp overnight is 30 degrees, which reduces during the day). I take them out of the propigator at about 2 weeks or just before they hit 2 inchs and place them into small plastic pots, put them on a tray on the heater. I've tried placing them in sunny window sills for natural light, leaving them on the heater under fake light etc but nothing seems to work. I've since bought a heater online and will keep this near to the window for natural light. I do't think i'm over / under watering them, placing my knuckle into the soil it feels damp. The seeds were a M&S set and i've also got some on ebay (from sellers with loads of seed feedback) and have also grown some from chillis and peppers i've used in cooking so i'm pretty sure its not a dodgy batch as they've all died. My only thought is i that water them from the base. Could this be the cause? I'm worried about knocking them when watering so i place them into a bowl of previously boiled but now cold water. Thanks for your help and time.
02/05/2009 at 08:27
update to above post. i've noticed a white powder like substance (mould???) on the soil that all the chillis have died. could this be the cause of over watering?
06/05/2009 at 21:45
as i was made redundant in dec 2008 and haven got a greenhouse yet due to no job still i grew some chillies on the windowsill in bedroom out of 4, 2 survived which are now in 9 inch pots in garden .However one has fell over and the leves are shrivilling up any ideas and is it to late to start planting some more seeds???? many thanks a chilli beginner
12/05/2009 at 10:43
i had some chilli seeds in march theyve germinated but i cant see that they will fruit this year what do i do with them when the cold weather comes? thanks another chilli starter
1 to 20 of 59 messages