Start a new thread
Took ages to find Search engine is vestigial needed help with runner bean trenches searches for planting or growing runners only gave a list of vatieties - had to use google this clip v. short
Took ages to find Search engine is vestigial needed help with runner bean trenches searches for planting or growing runners only gave a list of vatieties - had to use google this clip v. short
I have heard that you need to pinch out the tops of climbing beans but this video doesn't show you when and how.

This is my problem, too.  The beans are growing fast, almost to the top of the canes. Should the tips be pinched out?   Please do tell.

Steve 309
Yes, Rosie.
When they get to the top of the supports, pinch them out to encourage them to bush out a bit lower down. Otherwise they'll carry on up to the sky and you'll end up being chased by a giant. Fee fie fo fum!

Advertisement

AS an 80 year old novice, I have never grown or eaten haricot beans. Can one eat them in the same way as runner beans ie eat the case and keep the seeds.
I hope not too many of you will fall about laughing at my question
scroggin

It would be grown the same way as other members of the bean family. Normally the beans are dried, it is the bean used in 'baked beans'.

As an 80 year old novice, can I grow runner beans and haricot beans planting them in May/June. Then harvest them in the same way, ie eat the haricot beans in the same way as runners. Also keep the seed in exactly the same way. I hope not too many of you fall about laughing at may seem a rather silly question, but I am serious.