London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
6 messages
16/08/2013 at 09:03
I must be doing something wrong, my yellow ones have fallen off as they rooted, yet my patty pan squashes are doing great.
16/08/2013 at 09:10

I've had problems with slugs early, but surrounded them with egg shells and that seemed to help. I've got four courgette plants growing and they are fruiting madly. They are pretty thirsty plants and I water them every day, sometimes twice a day when it is really hot, and feed them once a week. That seems to work.

Oh, I don't know if anyone else finds this, but I have found that my courgettes grow better in pots than in the ground. I planted one in the ground this year and it is not as far on as those in pots and not cropping as well either.

16/08/2013 at 16:13

If the small courgettes fall off instead of developing it is because they have not been fertilized.

18/08/2013 at 09:38
Yes you're right Welshonion, but growing the self-fertile variety Parthenon should help as every female flower will set fruit without needing to be pollinated.
20/08/2013 at 12:17
I have been growing goldrush and defender courgettes. I too have had a superb crop from them growing in my new allotment- which is far better than when I grew them in pots last year- but the weather was terrible to be fair so it's probably not a fair contest.

Looking forward to next years crop already!
23/08/2013 at 10:24
i grow sunflowers in between courgette plants great results
email image
6 messages