1 to 20 of 26 messages
15/07/2010 at 18:38
I am growing courgettes in the greenhouse for the first time this year. I'm not sure if this is a good idea - maybe they would be better outside but I don't have much room. I was wondering, do they need all their leaves or can I remove some - they are taking over the bench.
15/07/2010 at 19:33
I couldn't agree more! If anybody hasn't grown courgettes before I find them the most satisfying and easy vegetable to grow. I have been gardening for 3 only years. In the past I have bought plants from a garden centre and they have grown briliantly. This year I took the plunge and grew from seed and they all grew! My friends were delighted with their courgette plant present.
15/07/2010 at 19:35
I wouldn't cut the leaves. Do you have a pot you could put them in? This works really well. You'd need quite a large one because you are right space is vital for courgette plants. They will be fine outside if you can find them a pot.
15/07/2010 at 20:16
Pippa, we've given up courgettes on the allotment, but still have a few in the garden. I'm not sure of the varieties, but those remaining are what you describe as a more 'classic' form. The smallholding seeds were inherited from a previous owner; I've no idea what they were, but they added a little extra to the pub quiz when the various amusingly shaped surplus vegetables were passed around to other team members. Bring back "That's Life" Esther.
16/07/2010 at 13:02
Thanks, Sarah. I'll put them in large heavy outer pots and move them outside.
16/07/2010 at 17:16
I have tried growing cucumbers for the last 2 years with no success the leaves gradually get paler, does not produce any fruit and finally failes completely. I feed regularly with a tomato feed. What am I doing wrong?
18/07/2010 at 13:37
Pippa This year I've grown courgettes in the allotment and at home. Many in 8" pots. I can't grow enough as family and friends adored them last year. I find pot plants grow better left in a shady area in the morning where they can gradually warm during the rest of the day. Make sure there is a plastic bottle in a pot that can constantly drip water all day during a hot day - then you can't go wrong.They're also growing successfully in my herbaceous border nicely filling unwanted gaps.
21/07/2010 at 20:39
I have 4 corgette plants in my green house, the leaves are huge and they are producing a lot of lovely yellow flowers, but no corgettes yet, when should I be starting to see some veg?? First timer Thanks
23/07/2010 at 05:15
we only seem to have male flowers, no sign of any female ones at all
26/07/2010 at 09:40
i HAVE OFTEN GROWN MARROWS BUT THIS YEAR THEY GET ABOUT FIVE INCHES LONG AND THEN GO ALL SOGGY AND DROP OFF. wHAT DO I DO PLEASE?
29/07/2010 at 21:16
Having the same problem as Pams. Growing courgettes for the first time lots and lots of big yellow flowers but no sign of anything yet !!!! male and female flowers ??? help please
03/08/2010 at 06:55
I've just pulled up my container grown courgettes - I had 2 fruits from 5 plants - no other female lowers!! Anyone know what went wrong?
03/08/2010 at 06:56
....apart from spelling mistake - thats FLOWERS not LOWERS.....
26/08/2010 at 16:09
I plan to turn a lawn over to vegetable growing but heard that lawns will be infested with wire worm.If this the case what can I do to prevent them?
28/08/2010 at 13:05
Give Courgettes time, epecially if they got a late start or a check. I live in the north east and grow the golden/yellow ones and although they only started cropping a couple of weeks ago, they have "accelerated" this last week. Going soggy at the ends suggests too much overhead moisture. Having said all that, my problem is with butternut squash - runners in excess of 3m (10ft in old money) but only getting male flowers. What is the secret to success for getting winter squash to fruit?
03/09/2010 at 10:59
My winter squash have managed to produce female flowers but there isn't a lot of them. It seems to be quite common problem this year. Several of the baby squashes have also turned brown and I cut them off and tossed them. I think these were not pollinated in time but I think that I will still end up with around 7 winter sqashes come harvest time. :) I also overhead water every morning the leaves and cut off ruthlessly any leaves that show even a hint of disease. So far so good as last year my summer squash was covered in powdery mildew by July. My summer squash is doing very well this year and have been cropping heavily. Next year I am going to try growing the trailing ones upside down from the brick garden walls as they take up too much room in the garden and it seems to be easier to let them hand down than trying to grow them up a support. :) :)
17/09/2010 at 10:49
I have never done anything on a blog before, so not sure if I'm getting this right. I have a question. I have an arum lily. How do I look after this properly over the winter? (I live in South Devon). Thank you.
20/09/2010 at 09:25
Sandra, Great idea to grow trailing vars over a structure - looks fab and works well, but don't forget that if the wall has any foundations at all then it will have a significantly drying effect on the soil, and squash do like their moisture! PG
29/10/2010 at 15:23
Do you need a greenhouse for courgettes
30/10/2010 at 22:09
Not long ago on the Gardener's World programme there was an article about butternut squashes and i would like to know the ingrediates they put into the squash and then put it into the ground. Can you or anyone else please help me find this information. Thank you.
1 to 20 of 26 messages