London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
13 messages
30/12/2010 at 15:08
Mustard seeds give you a good crop to sprinkle on salads or omelettes at this time of year too. And don't forget mung beans and other sprouts to keep colds at bay. I have cress to thank for getting me running to school as a five-year-old to see how my saucerful was growing on the classroom windowsill so have always loved it. Children love to grow a broad bean as well and sprout a carrot top. I am sure there must be lots more ways to get them interested, probably being able to eat something scrumptious made with their produce would be the best enticement.
03/01/2011 at 12:06
Egg and cress sarnies are divine.Must plant some cress and never buy another turkey - ever.
06/01/2011 at 02:11
Comments: An excellent and convincing detailed description, I could not find it any anywhere in gardening books so far to the best of my knowledge , as I have looked at almost every book available in this area of growing herbs. The detailed description has answered many questions I came across, as I am an absolute beginner in practical gardening, 6 months experience in growing herbs for my personal use. Key terms ;(a) a well-let window sill will suffice. (b) Adequate growing medium. (c) Using recycle plastic trays……etc.; cress will grow faster than rocket at this time year I wish to see some more of growing herbs in such simplest way….[ in container] Thank you
06/01/2011 at 16:20
i am actually a child and i like gardening
06/01/2011 at 16:21
cress is really nice and i grow more
08/01/2011 at 11:38
Gardenerbest - you are not only a gardener but a gardening writer now! Well done and do keep gardening and writing about it. You evidently read about it.
10/01/2011 at 09:43
Gardenerbest - really glad you have fun gardening, that's what it should be about - and that is for any one of any age! You'll be able to get some potatoes chitting and some other vegetable seeds germinating soon!
14/04/2011 at 23:57
Can you contract Liver Fluke from Cress, or is that just Water Cress?
09/08/2011 at 15:15
Dr Hessayon includes advice on cress and other herbs in his vegetable book. He can't be bettered!
20/09/2011 at 09:37
Hello, thanks for the information. I am currently planning a school investigation for my Environmental Sciences A Level into the effects of acid rain on plant germination (in particular cress and mustard* seeds). I will be altering the pH of various solutions of sulphuric and nitric acid and adding them to the cotton wool... my questions are, what is the typical pH of soil (so that i can alter the cotton wool before planting seeds)and do cress and mustard seeds like the same pH concentrations? *(idealy i would like two fast germinating seed which prefer DIFFERENT pH levels, so any suggestions?) Many thanks! I appreciate any help available :)
28/11/2011 at 18:42
I once gave a small ceramic dish, blotting paper and a pack of cress seed as a party gift in the goody bags for my daughters birthday party. By all accounts these were a success and the children loved them.
27/12/2012 at 20:10
Can you grow the cress seeds in a cup of potting soil?
Interested in growing this with preschool children. Thanks!
27/12/2012 at 20:24
Sallydepas wrote (see)
Can you grow the cress seeds in a cup of potting soil?
Interested in growing this with preschool children. Thanks!

You can-but has been said -it will germinate on damp blotting paper, kitchen roll etc-kids have been doing this for years-it is quite magical and quick

email image
13 messages