London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
16 messages
20/12/2010 at 23:43
Kates post on rats gets over 40 comments, James gets a comment within 3 hours on his post about parsnips, and Adam gets hundreds on his two with the Monty Don debate, but your post Pippa, which is about plants, gets ignored. Well don't despair, I found your post very interesting and have inspected all my cyclamen for grey mould, (none found) and would not purchase a new one without giving it the third degree. Thanks for the advice, have a great Christmas and a successful New Year.
21/12/2010 at 00:30
Don't take offence Pipa, as imformative as ever. As HeavyHorse I found your article very interesting indeed. Going off topic...I'd love to see you return to our screens on GW, but that's another story :-)
21/12/2010 at 00:32
Pippa!!! Wish I would proof read before posting :-(
21/12/2010 at 09:10
I'm afraid the grey mould issue is for the cossetted cyclamen cultivars (there's a poem there) and people who buy in bulk for mass effect. I love the hardy species cyclamen and have no troubles with them except perhaps when they seed overenthusiastically into paths. People who grow lots of hellebores also hae trouble with black death if they do not spread them out a bit. Makes you think nature knows best, Pippa, and large greenhouses with thousands of plants in them are not what cyclamen plants like. Perhaps we should be prepared to pay a bit more for healthier stock. but I do hope your warning has made purchasers more wary as it is dreadful to watch such a lovely plant as a cyclamen die. And the species are so endangered in the wild more people need to be encouraged to grow them. I too would like to see you back on TV (Perhaps an artistic veg. garden?). Happy Christmas.
23/12/2010 at 17:14
Happy Christmas to all gardeners world presenters and all behind the scence workers.looking forward to the programme starting again soon.
23/12/2010 at 19:32
Hi Pippa any tips on reviving cyclamen which are in windows boxes and have had a weeks snow and minus 9 degrees?
28/12/2010 at 21:58
I have only saved one outside cycamen from a box of 6 from last year and it refuses to flower again.Several years ago I kept an indoor one re-flowering each year for 3 years until it set seed and then gave up.
06/01/2011 at 13:58
Please can someone tell me how to 'over winter' an indoor cyclamen plant. I'm sure my Mum, who adored these plants, put the plant (after flowering) in the garden on it's side. Sadly she is no longer with us to advise me. Hooray I have a ticket for the Chelsea FS this year. Val Petrie
06/01/2011 at 20:23
I had thee cyclamen growing round at bottom of a tree but it looks as if onlt one survived.
10/01/2011 at 09:56
After a particularly bad start to this new year, it has really cheered me up to read so many really lovely comments on my posts and on me! Spellin duz not matter...even if it is my name!!Thank you all. Now artistic veg growing is a great idea!! Sadly even those of us who can often grow the medium sized semi-hardy cyclamen outside have had problems this year - the extreme cold and then slushy wet deteriorating snow all over those crowns, I just pick off all dead or deteriorating foliage, right back tot he corm, try to clear away any accumulated debris eg fallen late oak foliage, and cross my fingers. It usually works!
15/02/2011 at 21:35
Having read the December 2010 issue of Gardeners' World Magazine, I decided to have a go at Joe Swift's Evergreen Border. However I have discovered that you need a male and a female Viburnum davidii to get the lovely blue berries. I have a smallish space, so I don't think I have room for both in that border. Would it work to have the female in the front garden, and the male in the back garden?
25/02/2011 at 10:13
I rescued an unusual (to me anyway) plant from my late brother-in-law`s garden. I wonder whether anyone can help me identify it.It is a multi-headed, white, primula vulgaris. Not at all like the run-of-the-mill Polyanthus for it has a very delicate main stem and the heads coming from it have long, thin stems also. It is a real treasure. I would love to be able to name it. Thank you.
27/02/2011 at 16:47
Mexican orange which was varigated now is beginnning to go green rather than yellow how do I make it come back?
27/02/2011 at 16:48
varigated mexican orange now going green. How do I stop this happening?
28/11/2011 at 18:42
help my cabbage died
03/04/2012 at 19:19
can you use the seed pods to grow further plants?
email image
16 messages