London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
18/05/2011 at 13:46
And the more you pick the more you'll harvest, Pippa. I too love those beans and find myself having them twice a day to keep up with the crop. They are such great value and well worth the effort.
18/05/2011 at 15:33
my courgettes aint coming along at all ever since i planted them out theyve been subjected to a hot spell and in my stupidity mid-day watering (ive learned not to do this now) also now being drowned by constant rain and looking very sad found some seeds that had started to sprout after planted out that had been attacked by little tiny white maggots? p.s do you make your own soap spray i have some aphids on roses protected by ants used some diluted dove handwash seems to work a bit but if theres a better formula?
18/05/2011 at 19:48
my french beans are in flower, so is my marrows, and courgettes , and all my seeds are coming up, i water first thing in the morning as we have had no rain for at least 2 months ,
19/05/2011 at 09:26
Ive planted out a tender crop of French Beans this week. I just love them, and yes the more you pick there more you harvest. Everything at the moment is growing so well, my Runner Beans are shooting up. I have made my own soap spray with Fairy Liquid and it seems to work quite well, but I do find that the Blue Tits that come into my garden do a grand job so I repay them with extra food to keep them happy.
19/05/2011 at 16:29
Squirrels are digging up my newly potted plants - any ideas?
19/05/2011 at 22:37
i have a large veg garden and have grown a lot of dwarf beans in the green house this year from seed but they are about 30 cm hi and need to be planted out..i'm worried they may die as the nights are chilly still here in yorkshire..also what method of support should i use for this dwarf bushing variety..any help would be great
19/05/2011 at 22:42
this soap spray...tell me more guys...is this to kill of the green fly...i have peas out and have noticed a few..how much should i dilute say fairly liquid or whats best?
23/05/2011 at 21:09
Having nutured our dwarf beans in the shelter of the greenhouse we planted them out at the weekend, only to find that today's strong winds have snapped the tops off most of them. Will they crow back, or should we start again?
24/05/2011 at 08:47
Same thing has happened to some of my dwarf beans, stunted grower, but they should bush out if you make sure the snag is clean. Just in case of disaster i saved some seed and am now pushing one in beside each doubtful plant. They will give a successional crop anyway. There is plenty of summer left and you can, as Pippa says, protect the autumn crop.
25/05/2011 at 03:49
I have used fairy luigid for years in the garden with no harmful effects, but have just purchased a garlic wonder fruit tree care, organic for beautiful healthy fruit it is systemic, expensive so my small frut tree's and bush fruits will be blasted with the sollutionafter I have diluted it in the ammount of water that it recommends on the container
26/05/2011 at 15:55
I'm not sure that washing up liquid is the right stuff to use. I use a B&Q organic soap solution called "Bug free" which works quite well. It advises the use of rainwater to dilute it because this is more effective than tap water.
28/05/2011 at 18:09
Just picked my first dwarf beans today from greenhouse border! I grow safari beans really small bushy plants outside, with lots beans-rather larger plants in greenhouse.
09/06/2011 at 07:54
I planted broad beans in my raised bed in March. They seemed to be growing quite well, but lately I have noticed that some of the stems around the top of pods are turning black. Does anyone know the reason for this?. I would realy be grateful as it would be a shame not to get a crop, after such a good start what with the early summer we had back in April.
04/07/2011 at 21:57
I have a good crop of dwarf french beans growing in a tub.Can any one tell me why they are curling up?
28/11/2011 at 18:43
I am glad I never put my young plants out we had slight frost this morning.
02/05/2012 at 18:06
I have grown dwarf french beans for the first time this year in my greenhouse. They are in 10" pots in multipurpose compost and did look very strong and healthy. However I have noticed that the leaves are curling slightly and they appear to be taking on a mottled(yellow) look. I keep them moist and the temperatures are good. I wondered what would be causing the leaves to look this way and what the cure would be! Thanks. Christine
02/05/2012 at 19:21
It could be that you are keeping them too moist. Have you been feeding them?
02/05/2012 at 20:44

I quite fancied the idea of giving french beans a go but would I be too late if I sowed them now?  There's always next year.  

02/05/2012 at 20:47
No you'll be fine to sow them now.
02/05/2012 at 20:50

Yay!  More veg for my husband not to like.  

1 to 20 of 23 messages