London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
18 messages
08/08/2011 at 12:08
I am growing them for the forst time this year. A friend gave me a perennial variety which I have put in a pot. They have germinated but took a long time and I'm not expecting any flowers now this year. I think as you say water was lacking and I will know now for next year
08/08/2011 at 12:56
I love all scented varieties, especially Charlies Angel, a large sky blue, and Mattucana, a lovely 2 tone dark red and blue. To avoid running out of sweet peas i make a second later sowing which come into flower about now.
08/08/2011 at 12:58
The old-fashioned "Cupani" is my favourite for scent, Adam. Its flowers are a pretty red and purple mix but the scent knocks you over. They are reputed to be the origin of our present varieties and to have been in this country for 300 years. My freebies from the magazine did well and I had a good variety of colour from them. All fifteen seeds germinated and all plants still giving flowers though shorter stems now. I divided the plants into two and grew them in two big pots up bamboo wigwams. All in all, a much better performance than my one and only sunflower.
08/08/2011 at 13:59
I've grown a lovely variety this year, 'America'. White and red striped, heavy fragrance, and one clump has gotten huge (about 6ft tall, and very prolific, they need picking daily).
08/08/2011 at 17:39
This is my 3rd yr of growing s/pea's, and I love them! I have staggered planting s/pea's this year, and plan to plant seeds later this yr, and experiment by growing them in toilet rolls!. Last yr, I was fortunate, to pick s/pea's into November!
08/08/2011 at 18:25
Have a hard time growing here in Missouri - we have a lot of hot and humid weather and this summer a lack of rainfall really did them in. We have considered trying the perennial variety, but if there is no scent, what is the point?
08/08/2011 at 19:03
The perennial sweet pea is a lovely plant, very colourful and hardy and it will clothe a tree or shrub very quickly in between blossom time and berry time. They usually have longer stems than the annual and more flowers and they are very hardy and disease free. I pick great bunches from mine for about six or seven weeks for the house and put pinks or carnations with lovely scent in with them.
10/08/2011 at 14:13
I planted some Elephant Garlic, this is the second attept and the same result as last time, they have not grown at all they are the same size as when I planted them. I have just harvested the ordinary Garlic and thats fine. Why won't these Elephant Garlic grow.
10/08/2011 at 15:54
MY favourite variety is "jet set" a sweet pea which only grows to 5 feet and produces masses of colourful and scented blooms from as early as may through to september. Keep cutting and removing tendrils but allow it to branch into multi stems. You will be suprised how many different colours of bloom you get. :)
11/08/2011 at 20:17
As well as the usual tall ones, I have grown some Little Sweetheart this year, sowing straight into the border, and am very pleased with the result. I also love cupani, but after a RTA have lost most of my sense of smell. Have to rely on memory now!
11/08/2011 at 21:24
Have grown sweetpeas for years using the cordon method and tried lots of different named ones but this year a friend had plants of 'Just Jenny' which is a beautifull midnight blue colour and loads of flowers on each stem. So I purchased some seeds at the Tatton Park show and look forward to growing them next year.
14/08/2011 at 12:05
I love Lilac Ripple and Ethel Grace, which is the quintessential lavender pea. I have been growing sweet peas for years, and probably will until I cannot garden anymore! I love them.
15/08/2011 at 22:57
I grew T & M 'Early Mammoth' for this year, planting in pots last Autumn and keeping in cold frame until all the frosts had gone. They have been an absolute dream and live up to their name. They started flowering when only about 18 inches high and have not stopped and have reached up the wall to at least 9 feet. They are on the house wall facing South West. Needless to say I have already purchased my seeds of the same, ready for sowing next month.
16/08/2011 at 22:24
I have been given some sweet pea seeds. One of my neighbours who saddly died two years ago was a sweet pea breeder and judge. Stirling University gardeners had some of his seed and they gave it to me. I hope to grow them next season.
17/08/2011 at 07:43
Post 15 should be in the blog about plants evoking memories as well. How lovely, Rena, I do hope your seeds are viable and you can get more and distribute them, complete with their provenance.
11/10/2011 at 17:26
I love Sweat peas, this year was my first year of being a gardener and grew some mixed (cheap) variety and got brilliant results. A whole mix of colours & fantastic scent. They are still flowering now Am having a go at sowing some in Autumn with "Jilly" Will definatley sow some more in Spring Will definatley
28/11/2011 at 18:44
Your freebies inspired me to plant them to grow up a trellis attached to my allotment shed. What a roaring success flanked by some Dianthus Doris and strawberrys. Erected to runner wigwams either side and the whole thing is absolutely glorious. My little pretend 'cottage garden' - the smell is glorious and transports me back to my childhood and my dad's garden. I never knew that he grew sweet peas but he must have - equally I never knew I liked them and I don't I LOVE them! To cap it all I am now a finalist in my local allotment association Best Kept Allotment [working class] which place will be announced on 10th September - due I am sure in no small part to this stunning display. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
21/09/2012 at 12:26
aeromint. Toilet roll tubes work really well. Indeed some I planted next door on a tray to plastic pots with similar compost grew much better than their plastic cased neighbours.
email image
18 messages