London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 34 messages
24/01/2008 at 17:21
Is it too late to plant garlic cloves now? I have very heavy clay soil as well. Thanks
25/01/2008 at 12:40
It is not too late to plant garlic - you tend to get a heavier crop from autumn plantings but I usually plant more cloves in the spring, I intend to buy some more this weekend... if I get time!

As for what to plant, just last year I gave a couple of bulbs of garlic to a dear, dear friend of mine, omitting to tell her more than that it wanted a good, sunny spot... then in the summer I was summoned round to look at two green crested outbursts in the border... they do need to be separated in to cloves, not planted as whole bulbs!! It is an easy enough mistake, especially when your friends are not even sensible enough to tell you!!

25/01/2008 at 17:33
Plant garlic bulbs in single cloves for good results. I grow mine in an old bread tray every year and have had great success, although I am worried about the effect the rainfall will have this year.
25/01/2008 at 17:38
Forgot to mention. You can plant garlic up until February although the earlier the better as going through a cold snap is actually good for it. Hope this is of some help to first time garlic growers.
26/01/2008 at 18:37
Hi staceyF, Garlic is planted in single cloves, with the pointy bit at the top. Hope that helps.
27/01/2008 at 12:45
A Quick word about garlic, It's best to break up the bulb into smaller cloves,it can be planted late Autumn or early Spring, I normally go for early Spring though.
27/01/2008 at 17:41
StaceyF - you plant each clove separately, & each clove should become a whole head when you harvest them in the summer. Bauchigirl - you can plant them in spring, no worries, though the crop may be a little smaller/later than if you'd done so in autumn.
28/01/2008 at 19:57
I too have very heavy clay and have had varying results with garlic. I have found spring sowing in my area (Notts) very poor, but I may try a second planting soon (if I get time!). I will certainly try Pippa's ridge method next autumn although the new crop has suddenly sprouted beautifully and seems to be looking good with not a trace of yellow as yet. Your blog was very helpful thank you Pippa - I didn't know about yellow being a sign of waterlogging and its good to hear how others cope with the dreaded clay.
29/01/2008 at 20:46
i had garlic in my fridge now it has started growing so i put them into a tray to grow in the greenhouse then put into my allotment
01/02/2008 at 14:54
It's certainly worth a try, the only potential problem is that there will be an increased risk of virus infection from supermarket/greengrocer garlic... but why not give it a go!
06/02/2008 at 19:19
I've just got some elephant garlic bulbs any tips on planting them
07/02/2008 at 19:02
I have started my garlic off in little jiffy pots and placed half in the coldframe and the remainder in a cold greenhouse. I am hoping this will give them a boost as I also garden with clay soil - the thick grey clay.
21/02/2008 at 22:33
If you have too much garlic, you can also plant the whole bulbs and then just use the green shoots as you would garlic chives. Otherise, as everyone has alread said, you do have to separate the bulb into cloves. I hope that makes sense!
26/02/2008 at 13:03
Elephant garlic - actually more of a leek than a true garlic - is wierd, yes, not one of my favourites, but it can be raised from cloves just like you would proper garlic......yes, I don't really like it - suppose it is the flavour and warmth and excitement of proper garlic I like, and elephant garlic just doesn't hit any of the right buttons!
28/02/2008 at 21:26
I have tried garlic but for some reason I only seem to get one 'bulb' ie small onion, as in one clove not a whole head of garlic - i have tried one lot autumn planted which was slightly larger and one lot spring but only small one. Garden is clay but i have raised beds with good draining soil. I plant individual cloves not the whole head. Anyone got any ideas why this could be?
15/03/2008 at 20:29
I'm going to grow garlic for the first time this year and your tip will be very helpful, do squirrels and mice like garlic.
03/04/2008 at 23:16
I've planted garlic for the first time this year, although I did get it in a bit late (January). I'm growing it in a large pot and they were looking fine, but over the last few days I have noticed yellowing (which I put down to water-logging from the heavy rain?) but they seem to be going from yellow to a more crispy brown! is it too much water? I'm using a multi-purpose compost mixed with a small amount of sand to aid drainage.
13/04/2008 at 11:42
I planted Garlic in November, first time I have done it so followed an ancient gardening book's instructions. Some were planted in soil (chalky) and some in compost in a tub. I've noticed that some of the stems are turning brown, about one stem on each plant. Is that a sign they are ready or some other problem and if they aren't ready when will they be, how do I tell the book doesn't tell me that.
13/04/2008 at 16:18
Hi,I have decided to grow my Garlic with the ridge, my soil is clay. So far they are doing really well
13/04/2008 at 19:22
I have a walnut tree, about 20ft tall grown from a walnut my friend gave me from her tree, it gives loads of nuts but last year I noticed the leaves have reddish blisters, is this fatal the nuts were fine any ideas what to do or shall I leave it?.
1 to 20 of 34 messages