London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
21 to 40 of 49 messages
19/02/2014 at 08:25

For me only the lenten roses, orientalis, are really wanted in my garden.  Except for Corsicus which is always reliably healthy and evergreen. Niger is always iffy....tried Potters Wheel too but it struggles to be perennial for me.  

19/02/2014 at 08:36
Adam Pasco wrote (see)

Hi nutcutlet. Exactly the same thing has happened to me before. I've thought that my Helleborus niger just got too dry in its shady site during summer, and didn't pull through. I've never got it to establish, unlike the Oriental hybrids and H. argutifolius that are far more reliable. Helleborus lividus has been good for me too.

My garden is dry (East Anglia) but I have hopes that now it's got away H niger may survive. H. corsicus gets very big, falls over and doesn't live long. Just long enough to set seed and start the whole process again

My lividus shared the fate of yours Dove.

19/02/2014 at 09:22

I often think of hellebores as exquisite watercolour paintings. I just can't credit that I can have something so beautiful thriving in my garden and I barely touch them.  I have two large clumps laden with heavy beautiful deep rosy violet blooms.  On Monday I found my long lost white one - it is in a tub with a bamboo - unfortunately it is so tightly packed that I would lose the plant if I tried to remove it but I had wondered where it had gone - It's very strange but I'm delighted to see it - I had always wanted a white one but after I'd planted it I didn't see it again and assumed it was more delicate than the mauve - I got it at a gardening group plant exchange a couple of years ago so I can report the success at our next meeting.

20/02/2014 at 17:38
Hellebores become addictive, you start with one and
then you see a different colour and then some have anemone centres, and off you go again! at this time of year they light up the garden.
20/02/2014 at 20:45

Addictive private-party?  I have some 40, 50 or more.....really don't know now.....hellebores all different. Doubles, singles, almost purple foliage varieties.  I have called a (temporary) halt this year to buying any more.  Love em all.   And what better in the garden now?  

20/02/2014 at 20:49

Got a nice one flowering at present,  mid yellow, but instead of facing downwards they face outwards, so you can see the interior without having to lift the flowers up.

20/02/2014 at 21:17

Hiya Berghill......makes a big difference and many of the latest varieties do "upward" look.  Got a few of those myself. And the newest yellows are now very good. 

20/02/2014 at 21:28

Hi,

You have to rogue out the wishy washy colours, or else they take over!

My worst colours are a washed out pinky/mauve, they get the chop as soon as I see flower colour!

Last year a brimstone yellow appeared from out of the blue, it has just had it's first flower this season "AND" it appears to have kept it's colour, not reverted as they sometimes do!

Cheers

21/02/2014 at 10:56

Wow Jimmy, are you going to try seeds from the yellow one?  You may have found something extra special there, but even if it doesn't seed true - which, let's be honest here - is unlikely - what a lovely thing to see.  Could you post a picture of it for us to enjoy - albeit at a distance?

Agree about the washed out mauve colours, but even some of those can be lovely in the right places.  I am hoping my glorious spotted one will seed itself about and come true - but no matter what, the new ones will be welcome. 

21/02/2014 at 19:11
I plant my hellebores at the bottom of my escallonia
Hedge and they look lovely and fill the gap/messy bit at the
bottom.
21/02/2014 at 19:41

Sounds good JIMMY.  I think you are right to weed out those you don't like though and    increase the quality of your stock.

21/02/2014 at 20:31

Well, I have spent a little time today (dodging showers of hail) and collected self sown, newly germinated seedlings of various ones, a yellow, a deep purple and a dark green with red spots. Did about 2 dozen of each. Tell you in a few years if they were successful, or not as the case may be.

21/02/2014 at 22:26

I love hellebores! I have a bed about 25 foot long where I have Hellebores all along the edge, My nine year old daughter refers to it as The Hellebore Highway. I love the different flower colours & shapes. Also that something so stunning can be seen at such a dull time of year,

21/02/2014 at 23:01

Hiya 386

Helebores are fantastic right now aren't they?   The Hellebore Highway sounds lovely. Post a picture?

21/02/2014 at 23:11

Verdun wrote (see)

Addictive private-party?  I have some 40, 50 or more.....really don't know now.....hellebores all different. Doubles, singles, almost purple foliage varieties.  I have called a (temporary) halt this year to buying any more.  Love em all.   And what better in the garden now?  

Verdun, please, please post photo's there is no colour in my garden other than a little green and a lot of brown

22/02/2014 at 13:19

this picture is from the RHS facebook page 

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38049.jpeg?width=296&height=350&mode=max

22/02/2014 at 17:58

This is my magic one leaf hellebore

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38080.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

It looks a lot darker in real life - the flash lightened it  Can't wait to see what it looks like when it finally opens 

22/02/2014 at 18:06

Not taken any so far this year, but these are some from 2013

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww32/Owdboggy/February%202013/doublehellebores.jpg

22/02/2014 at 18:15

Just gorgeous 

26/02/2014 at 21:07
Lovely post, I only seem to have white ones in the garden and wonder why..
21 to 40 of 49 messages