Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Growing herbs

I have got two small pots of mint and a pot the rosemary and a bay tree. I am going to have a go at growing Coriander, never grown it before. Couldn't live without my herbs, if nothing else the smell of them is just wonderful.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I'm trying this coriander this year http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/coriander-calypso-seeds-pid3167.html so hopefully it will provide lots of lush leaves and won't run straight to seed.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• My herb book advises 'If growing for the seeds choose the sunniest and hottest spot in the garden. If you do not want the plant to run to seed choose a spot with partial shade. When growing for leaves, pick off any flowers as soon as seen to prevent running to seed'.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

Yesterday's "Woman's Hour" had a recipe for Mexican tacos that required various fresh herbs. I decided to try it, and was able to pick the required thyme, mint, tarragon and coriander all fresh from the garden. The tacos were absolutely delicious! Oh, and I even substituted our home-grown chard for the spinach in the recipe.

Coriander does tend to run to seed but you can save the seeds and use them as a spice, or sow some for next year.

• Adam PascoAdam Pasco Posts: 90
    There is a variety of coriander called 'Leisure' that is claimed to be slower at running to seed (bolting). I haven't evaluated this against others to see if it produces better leafy growth. Has anyone else.

And is there a difference between coriander and cilantro?
  • All my herbs are doing well except for basil. They are all planted in the same type of soil in the garden. Any ideas why this could be?
  • fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

Hi there - in Spain and USA coriander is called cilantro so I've always assumed it's the same herb !!! 

I've grown coriander from seed for a few years now - best to grow it in situ, with some shade but plenty of warmth for leaf production - harvest leaves regularly and from the top if seed head developing - this encourages leaves from below. Plant readily goes to seed if insufficient water but seeds are a useful spice so a good plant for both leaves and seeds. Interestingly, the leaves and seeds have quite different flavours.

I don't know too much about basil although have both green and purple seedlings at the moment. Have decided to take Monty's advice and plant them in greenhouse with the tomatoes and not outdoors. I think that he said basil requires heat and not too much water.

I also read an article recently about commercial herb plant suppliers who "stroke" their seedlings to encourage them to produce stronger stems - am always willing to give anything a go so am doing this with the basil and other thin stem seedlings - all are doing well but not a scientific experiment so don't know how they would be doing in the absence of "stroking" !!!

I don't know of different varieties of coriander so cannot shed any light Adam Pasco about 'leisure' but would be interested to hear from others as I must say that I prefer the leaves to the seeds image

• I planted some coriander for the first time ever about ten days ago and it is up and looking good, so it must be easy to grow! Nice that the early leaves look like the mature ones too - it's reassuring it's not just another patch of weeds. (Unlike basil which always seems to turn into fat hen in my garden).

The packet I sowed (Mr.Fothergill's) says "Coriander" and then underneath "Cilantro (for leaf)". The pack next to it said it was for seeds, but didn't have Cilantro on the front, (I think),

Has anyone spotted French tarragon plants in any of the supermarkets/garden centres or pound shops? I grew some of the russian stuff but it's pretty tasteless.

• InkadogInkadog Posts: 492

Adam, coriander is the seed and cilantro the fresh leaves. Also,Excitable, French tarragon does not set seed, but can easily be grown from cuttings. The Russian stuff is useless. Tarragon needs to be wintered inside.

• kaycurtiskaycurtis Posts: 111

I like the idea of comfrey ointment, I use comfrey as a feed for my plants, I hope the ointment doesn't smell as vile, the plants seem to like it.

• rena05rena05 Posts: 5
    I grow a lot of herbs. Most of them freeze very well and are ready to use throughout the winter. If you buy the pots of growing herbs in the supermarkets, the little plants can be carefully separated and potted on. They last a lot longer that way.