London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
4 messages
27/12/2013 at 20:29
I have two mahonias in my front garden Charity and an old fellow not sure of his name. He is very leggy and I as m going to have to bite the bullet after flowering and cut hard back. The mahonia forms part of as hedge so will look odd for a while. Can anyone advise how much I can expect it to grow in as year as this might influence how much I cut back?
27/12/2013 at 21:08

Hiya blubell, 

Firstly you can cut as hard as you like.  It will regrow very happily. Mahonias do naturally become leggy, even ugly. I have rejuvenated quite a few simply by cutting hard back.  One was almost treelike in a friend's garden....thin, leggy and awful.  It is now bushy and free flowering.  Prune every year to keep compact.

Its hard to say how many feet it will grow back in one year.  How tall is it now?  I would expect a 10' shrub cut back to 5' would grow at least 2'.  I cut a mahonia that formed part of an open boundary to 2' using a sharp saw.  It is now kept to 5 or 6 feet.  

Prune after flowering.....actually I would delay until early spring if it's flowering now.  

28/12/2013 at 11:26

I agree with Verdun, you can cut back as far as you like. I prefer to cut roughly a third of the stems right out each year until it's all under control. 

28/12/2013 at 15:35

Thank you. I cut the flowering stems back last year but not enough. It's about 5ft now and very leggy with lots of foliage at the bottom and flowering at the top. 

Thank you for advice will wait for spring and report back next year !  

email image
4 messages