London (change)
Today 27°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
18 messages
10/04/2009 at 11:43
I have just set up raised beds 4 in total 2 large and 2 small and had intended to plant potatoes, onions, parsnip and carrots for the first year but i have just watched monty's great simple explanation on rotation. The topsoil is new and has not been over wintered or compacted can i still do as i intended or are some of these a waste of time. any thoughts would be gratefully recieved. a beginner
10/04/2009 at 19:35
Yes you can, I did it for the first time last year and i planted Carrots and Parsnips, in a small raised bed filled with some home compost and shop bought. I got Potatoes growing too thanks to my very own not completely rotted down compost. you can but try and why not!
10/04/2009 at 20:22
how do i kill ivy growing on apple and plum trees
12/04/2009 at 08:34
The crows pulled out the newly planted shallots and onion sets from our allotment and scattered them all over the place. I'm taking my catapult next time I go up there.
13/04/2009 at 17:43
Can I keep tomato seeds from this year let them dry out and plant them next year RGDS Danny
14/04/2009 at 19:53
HI DANNY.I HAVE TO GARDEN ON A BUDGET AND ONE VERY SUCCESSFUL WAY OF SAVING MONEY FOR ME FOR SOME YEARS HAS BEEN TO USE MY OWN TOMATO SEEDS YEAR AFTER YEAR. THE MOST SUREFIRE WAY IS TO REMOVE THE SEED FROM A WELL RIPENED FRUIT,CLEAN IN A SIEVE UNDER RUNNING WATER THEN LAY THEM OUT (SPACED), BETWEEN TWO LAYERS OF KITCHEN ROLL IN A WARM PLACE TILL REALLY DRY. FOLD THE PAPER UP AND MARK WITH A FELT TIP.NEXT YEAR PLACE THE PAPER ON 2 INCHES OF COMPOST IN A SEED TRAY, COVER LIGHTLY & WATER.THEY GERMINATE ALREADY SPACED FOR POTTING ON AND DONT SEEM TO SUFFER ANY WILT PROBLEM? THE SAME PROCESS CAN BE USED FOR MOST OTHER SEEDS (MARROWS, ETC) WHICH YOU MAY WANT TO SAVE! GOOD LUCK.
15/04/2009 at 11:28
Hi Jane, I'm attempting an ambitious gardening project to grow as much vegetables as I possibly can on a London balcony - do you think onions are able to be grown in small containers? You can see my balcony (and read more about the London Vegetable Garden Project) here: http://londonvegetablegarden.blogspot.com
15/04/2009 at 11:52
I missed the programme on Friday 3rd April. Could someone let me know which tree's were featured please. I have been told one of them would be suitable for my garden but they can not remember the name.Thank you
15/04/2009 at 18:16
How do I dissuade my dog from digging in my veg patch? She never does it when I am there to chastise her. Thanks Ross
16/04/2009 at 20:07
Hi Flossendal I am experimenting with raised beds this year as my soil is so heavy. I will be interested to hear how you get on! To Richard, why not cover your onions and shallots with fleece rather than use a gun!!
17/04/2009 at 10:16
if your crop rotation is extremely important to you, instead of moving plots for firmness, shuffle with you boots at ten to two until the desired firmness is achieved, same method for brassicca plots. you should have good results, give it a try.
18/04/2009 at 14:10
hi i have just got an allotment please help i dont know where to start apart from preparing the ground ,its approx 18ft sq i would like to do spuds as we use alot at home do they all have to be earthed up
19/04/2009 at 16:17
hi all. had an allotment for a few years,best thing we ever did was to make a couple of raised beds and filled them with sand with a layer of compost on top. parsnips were huge[never been able to grow them before]carrots huge[once whatever was eating them had gone!] trying spring onions in them this year, so far so good.got itchy fingers,ready to start growing!last years onions were the best ,maybe all the rain we had..........
25/04/2009 at 16:01
To stop bird tweaking up onions and shallots we make a cats cradle of black cotton suspended over the onions at about 6" above the ground (wind round canes). This keeps the birds off til they start sprouting which we find indicates the roots are strong enough to withstand the blackbirds, and you can then remove cotton and hoe round. Our shallots are a round golden one that came from my husband's 97 year old uncle - they keep very well and bunch much more productively than the red ones we bought!
27/04/2009 at 12:36
I grew shallots last year ,but when I PICLED THEM THEY LOOKED RATHER CLOUDY IN THE WHITE PICKLING VINEGAR ,ANY BODY ANY IDEA WHAT EVER HAPPENED.
03/07/2009 at 18:23
how do I know when its right to harvest my shallots, excuse me but im a total novice
11/02/2010 at 14:49
I planted my onions and shallots in newly dug raised beds back in October. Now I have just read this shouldnt be done. Can anyone let me know why the ground has to be firm. I do grow brassicas in firm soil, but Ive never heard of onions being grown on firm soil. Please tell me what will happen to mine now?
28/11/2011 at 18:38
I planted my onions yeasterday and covered them with fleece as per the Gardeners World programe of Friday. How long should I leave the fleece on? Nigel
email image
18 messages