Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Growing onions and shallots

I have just set up raised beds 4 in total 2 large and 2 small and had intended to plant potatoes, onions, parsnip and carrots for the first year but i have just watched monty's great simple explanation on rotation. The topsoil is new and has not been over wintered or compacted can i still do as i intended or are some of these a waste of time. any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.
a beginner

• Yes you can, I did it for the first time last year and i planted Carrots and Parsnips, in a small raised bed filled with some home compost and shop bought. I got Potatoes growing too thanks to my very own not completely rotted down compost. you can but try and why not!
  • how do i kill ivy growing on apple and plum trees
  • The crows pulled out the newly planted shallots and onion sets from our allotment and scattered them all over the place. I'm taking my catapult next time I go up there.
  • Can I keep tomato seeds from this year let them dry out and plant them next year

RGDS Danny
  • HI DANNY.I HAVE TO GARDEN ON A BUDGET AND ONE VERY SUCCESSFUL WAY OF SAVING MONEY FOR ME FOR SOME YEARS HAS BEEN TO USE MY OWN TOMATO SEEDS YEAR AFTER YEAR. THE MOST SUREFIRE WAY IS TO REMOVE THE SEED FROM A WELL RIPENED FRUIT,CLEAN IN A SIEVE UNDER RUNNING WATER THEN LAY THEM OUT (SPACED), BETWEEN TWO LAYERS OF KITCHEN ROLL IN A WARM PLACE TILL REALLY DRY. FOLD THE PAPER UP AND MARK WITH A FELT TIP.NEXT YEAR PLACE THE PAPER ON 2 INCHES OF COMPOST IN A SEED TRAY, COVER LIGHTLY & WATER.THEY GERMINATE ALREADY SPACED FOR POTTING ON AND DONT SEEM TO SUFFER ANY WILT PROBLEM? THE SAME PROCESS CAN BE USED FOR MOST OTHER SEEDS (MARROWS, ETC) WHICH YOU MAY WANT TO SAVE! GOOD LUCK.
  • Hi Jane,

I'm attempting an ambitious gardening project to grow as much vegetables as I possibly can on a London balcony - do you think onions are able to be grown in small containers? You can see my balcony (and read more about the London Vegetable Garden Project) here: http://londonvegetablegarden.blogspot.com
  • I missed the programme on Friday 3rd April. Could someone let me know which tree's were featured please. I have been told one of them would be suitable for my garden but they can not remember the name.Thank you
  • How do I dissuade my dog from digging in my veg patch?
    She never does it when I am there to chastise her.

Thanks

Ross
  • Hi Flossendal

I am experimenting with raised beds this year as my soil is so heavy. I will be interested to hear how you get on!

To Richard, why not cover your onions and shallots with fleece rather than use a gun!!
  • if your crop rotation is extremely important to you, instead of moving plots for firmness, shuffle with you boots at ten to two until the desired firmness is achieved, same method for brassicca plots. you should have good results, give it a try.