Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Growing onions: seeds versus sets

I've never thought about the savings from growing from sets. Onions at less than 1p sound good to me!

• I've been growing "White Lisbon" onions from seeds for spring onions for salad and omelettes for donkey's years, Adam, and, after thinning the rows out to use, I leave the rest to grow into big onions. It must be the Scots in me! But your advice is needed so much now that money is tight everywhere.
  • I grew onions last year from sets that my husband bought from a car boot sale for 10p, they grew really well and we had a really good crop.
    I've planted Autumn onion sets that we got from a discount store in Morecambe for 45p. They are doing very well. So you can still save money if you shop around, you don't have to always buy from expensive garden centres etc. After all, times are hard and friends are few.
  • Growing onions from seeds are really good option, and its also saves money....Which is the best part....Thanks for the suggestion...
  • I found some old onion seeds in a tin whilst having a spring clean. In a spare patch of ground, I threw these down with some other bits and pieces and I have just discovered a crop of onions amongst some annual flowers that had finished.....it was a lovely surprise! I have found more success with seeds than sets but 'donutsmrs' is right - shopping around can really pay off.
  • I have never been able to grow decent sized onions from seeds, but I think not watering enough is my downfall.
  • Always been tempted to grow onions from seed as there seems to be more verieties to try! so next year i'm going to give it a go!
  • Having seen the onions that won the prizes at our allotment site show this year, I've now bought my packet of seeds ready to sow on Boxing Day. I'm looking to be up there with the winners next year!
  • i am growing onion and garlic and everybody with good size garden need to try,because is organic and cheap.
  • i always grow my onions from seed 150 seeds in a packet. i would say easy 140 every year. sow exmas day. success was 6 1/2 lbs.per onion.
  • I will give onion seeds a try, i grow my sets in pots and get a fare crop i have a smallish garden and need the ground for other crops i also grow garlic, i like organic veg they do seem taste better.