London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
14/11/2011 at 15:29
I've never thought about the savings from growing from sets. Onions at less than 1p sound good to me!
14/11/2011 at 15:57
I've been growing "White Lisbon" onions from seeds for spring onions for salad and omelettes for donkey's years, Adam, and, after thinning the rows out to use, I leave the rest to grow into big onions. It must be the Scots in me! But your advice is needed so much now that money is tight everywhere.
14/11/2011 at 17:09
I grew onions last year from sets that my husband bought from a car boot sale for 10p, they grew really well and we had a really good crop. I've planted Autumn onion sets that we got from a discount store in Morecambe for 45p. They are doing very well. So you can still save money if you shop around, you don't have to always buy from expensive garden centres etc. After all, times are hard and friends are few.
15/11/2011 at 07:29
Growing onions from seeds are really good option, and its also saves money....Which is the best part....Thanks for the suggestion...
15/11/2011 at 19:35
I found some old onion seeds in a tin whilst having a spring clean. In a spare patch of ground, I threw these down with some other bits and pieces and I have just discovered a crop of onions amongst some annual flowers that had finished.....it was a lovely surprise! I have found more success with seeds than sets but 'donutsmrs' is right - shopping around can really pay off.
15/11/2011 at 20:03
I have never been able to grow decent sized onions from seeds, but I think not watering enough is my downfall.
16/11/2011 at 10:24
Always been tempted to grow onions from seed as there seems to be more verieties to try! so next year i'm going to give it a go!
16/11/2011 at 13:18
Having seen the onions that won the prizes at our allotment site show this year, I've now bought my packet of seeds ready to sow on Boxing Day. I'm looking to be up there with the winners next year!
16/11/2011 at 15:01
i am growing onion and garlic and everybody with good size garden need to try,because is organic and cheap.
16/11/2011 at 16:28
i always grow my onions from seed 150 seeds in a packet. i would say easy 140 every year. sow exmas day. success was 6 1/2 lbs.per onion.
18/11/2011 at 15:58
I will give onion seeds a try, i grow my sets in pots and get a fare crop i have a smallish garden and need the ground for other crops i also grow garlic, i like organic veg they do seem taste better.
18/11/2011 at 17:19
You also get a variation in size. Who needs there onions all to be the same size?
23/11/2011 at 09:18
I grow Elsa Craig from seed each year and always get a great crop of large onions, I plant the seeds in an old plastic mushroom container from the supermarket in November, stab the bottom with a pointed knife for drainage That's it, in Feb thin to single onion plants and plant out, very hardy and a great tasting onion.
28/11/2011 at 18:44
Might give that a try, though I won first in class at the village show with onions grown from sets planted last Autumn! I've planted my Autumn onion sets already and they are doing well but I may just give the seeds a go too. Thanks. http://archers-at-the-larches.blogspot.com/2011/09/village-show-and-prize-twit.html
05/12/2011 at 21:50
The other thing is of course that you get more varieties from seed.

I think that generally onions from seed also store better?
15/12/2011 at 22:14

I find that onions grown from seed store better

19/12/2011 at 10:20
With Franchi seeds you get well over 1000 seeds so it would cost actually 4 onions for 1p making sets cost 40 times more than the seeds!!!
03/01/2012 at 20:09
Do you want so many onions as the 250 in a packet? have you counted in the cost of the propagator? What is the failure rate of seeds against sets? The figures may back seeds v sets, but I suspect not by the order of magnitude you suggest.
09/01/2012 at 15:35
<div style="color: #333333; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: #ffffff; margin: 8px;">

Thank Paolo. Yes, some packets of seed provide even better value, and deliver even greater savings! Certainly worth considering when trying to keep costs down and increase productivity.

And I think this answers the point raised above questioning returns, as it looks as if returns can be of an even greater magnitude, not lower.

11/01/2012 at 13:31

I planted sets last spring, and they were very late to harvest, in the end I lifted them toward the end of October as I was afraid they'd get hit with the cold snap that was forcast.  They were a great success.  I planted Elisa Craig seeds in modular trays in the autumn & they're overwintering on my front porch where it's sheltered & I'll plant them on when I've ground ready & I'll also put down some sets in the spring and compare results. 

1 to 20 of 24 messages