London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
41 to 60 of 66 messages
09/11/2009 at 11:28
What a pleasure to read all the post about orchids after coming in from the garden ,frozen from picking up Bramleys. The hardy orchids are beautiful too and so easy to grow at the front of a border or in the rockery - just make sure they do not come from the wild.
09/11/2009 at 16:28
My first orchid was from B&Q and this was reduced after Mothers day and looked very sad it was reduced from 14.95 to 3.00 over 3 years ago. The ticket on the pot say discard when flowered, but I trimmed it off repotted in new orchid compost and it has been flowering ever since. I keep min in the conservatory which as lots of natural light and warm from the sun, it loves it. I agree that there probally are too many being discarded after flowering.
09/11/2009 at 19:25
Like so many of you, I buy my orchids when reduced, at the supermarket. So far I seem to be doing the right things as Mine have flowered for months. Question: Why has the occasional leaf become beige and papery -looking with a bumpy, blistered appearance under the surface? This starts at the tip of a leaf and gradually spreds downwards. It is not on every leaf, has not spread to other orchids and when I chopped off the offending bit, it made no difference to the flowers. Other leaves on the same plant are healthy and green. HELP!!!
10/11/2009 at 07:21
David I grew the Eagret Orchids this year, but outdoors in the garden and all flowered. the bulbs need to be kept dry through the winter months to protect from rotting. Use orchid compost and growing in dappled shade
12/11/2009 at 08:00
I would love to have orchids in my garden but doesnt know a thing about it. What can you recommend. Thanks in advance.
12/11/2009 at 10:56
I have a moth orchid which was a present five years ago, and it has never been without flowers since I received it. It had one stem originally, and before the last flowers have died there is always at least one new stem starting to bloom. Some of the stems which have flowered turn white and dried out so I cut them off, but the stems which are still alive will flower again. When I remember to water it I put it into a bowl of water and leave it for about ten minutes, then leave it to drain before returning it to its container. I moved house three months ago and with the upheaval of unpacking and workmen in the house I forgot to water it for about six weeks, but it does not seem to have affected it at all and there are now eight flowering stems on it with lots of side shoots.
13/11/2009 at 16:46
I have an orchid which has finished flowering, but now seems to have a new very small set of leaves forming, on its side, with aerial roots. Can I take these off and start a new orchid?
14/11/2009 at 20:41
I thought the same when people bought me three orchids when I moved to my new house three years ago. I have just left them on my kitchen bay window sill (east facing)and watered them when I remembered (I do use water from my water filter tho'). I have not repotted or pruned in anyway and they have surprised me when they have flowered again and again. I think they like to be neglected a bit I don't think they can go on forever so I don't know if I should look after them now or not.
15/11/2009 at 21:06
I have a fair few moth orchids. I plant them in a glass jar/tall glass vase. I place glass beads in the bottom and then plant the orchid on top with its compost. I fill it with rain water out of my water butt and allow algae to grow on the beads. The orchids thrive in the kitchen, bathroom and lounge. All I have to do is top the water level up occasionally!! I have them flowering 2-3 times a year.
16/11/2009 at 19:04
I have about 12 phalaenopsis, a papheopedium, a miltonia and a couple of zygotiums and have managed to get all to re flower. They are all kept in east facing windows and I water about once a fortnight. I did try a couple in the conservatory but the sun burnt the leaves. Rather than throwing away I kept them and they have both re-flowered though the leaves are a little deformed. I would always hang onto mine until I was sure they were dead and even when the flowers have stopped it has never taken too long to wait for a new spike. Apart from the phalaenopsis I put all the rest outside for the summer and they really seem to like it, even though we live in the north.
16/11/2009 at 21:03
I continue to be amazed with orchids. I started out in the same way as others around two years ago with a gift. Now I have over forty of them in all stages of growth. I have at least five in full bloom every month all year round. I have lost one or two over the two years I have been growing them but the time I have given to the plants I have gained so much experience and the pleasure they given to date has been the best reward a person can have who normally can not even grow grass. Congratulations to other growers who have taken their plants into a second year. The rewards are obvious. Good luck.
19/11/2009 at 19:25
Orchids are so easy to get to flower year after year whats the problem?
29/11/2009 at 10:42
I just love moth orchids,i grow them on my kitchen window ledge which is east facing also in the dning room which is west facing. the bathroom almost killed my first few! Ieither cut off the flower spike to a node or if it goes completly brown icut it as near to the plant as possible.Ihave had i baby which i planted as soon as there where 2 roots about 3cm long,it seems to be fine.Most of my 15 plants were discounted & so far i havent duplicated any, thay are always in flower or putting up a new flower spike.I feed about 3 times a year if i remember &i water with ordinary tap water when i think they look dry.my advice is just relax & enjoy , overwatering is always the worst thing for any plants.
10/12/2009 at 18:02
my first 2 were in a sale at a well known garden centre @4.99 each, both thrived then 1 died and I binned it. No2 flowered for 18 months nonstop, best value ever had! Have had several since, benign neglect seems to work but they do get watered and fed.
08/01/2010 at 11:22
I have a poor record with houseplants (having killed 7 bonsai trees) and was worried when I was given a moth orchid 2 yrs ago. But it is so happy and keeps flowering its socks (roots?) off. It's got loads of buds on it at the moment which is great as the rest of the world is just boring snow. PS I remember to water/feed it about one a month so I think neglect is definitely the thing to do!
27/07/2010 at 15:51
Sorry you had a bad experience with the moth orchid.
02/08/2010 at 18:24
I also want to say sorry for your bad experiences with the moth orchid. Try to identify your exact species and it's possible you can find information that will help you revive it. Terri A. http://www.orchid911.com/caring-for-orchids/
02/09/2010 at 00:29
Also re-potting your orchids at the right time can be a breeze! If you learn how to give your orchids longer life and a little more room to grow. www.growingorchidsonline.com
14/09/2010 at 07:15
The orchid is one of the most popular choices of houseplant. This is because there are a lot of types of orchids you can choose from, they don't need too much attention aside from the basics, and because even beginner gardeners can try growing orchids because it is so easy. It is a hardy plant that can adapt well in either house or office environments.
24/09/2010 at 17:40
I bought my first orchid 7 years ago, I now have 15. Just like alicerose I am awful with remembering to water houseplants, but luckily the orchids quite lke this. They get watered whenever I remember, and get fed once a year (if I remember). The first one I cut off the stem after the flowers fell off, just like the instructions said - big mistake! It didn't flower again for another 2 years. Although I had loved the flowers so much I had to go out and get more. Having learnt my lesson I just chop of the stem just above the next node below the flowering one. Some of them only flower twice a year, and others flower all year long, but they always keep their flowers for months. I do find that the ones that are being sold off do need a bit more TLC than I give the others though, although that isn't hard! My Gran had one bought for her when she was ill, she was quite upset when it died a few weeks later, and told me she couldn't understand as she watered it every other day lol. Great to read about all your experiences with these gorgous 'put a smile on your face' plants.
41 to 60 of 66 messages