London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 66 messages
05/11/2009 at 18:28
My 1st has been flowering since April I have 7 now I buy them when they are reduced ie Tescos /and B&Q
05/11/2009 at 18:36
Phaleniopsis are actually extremely rewarding plants to grow given the right TLC Filtered light from windows with frosted glass or net curtains is vital .......bright sunlight scorches the leaves They love the liquid produced nby wormeries Simply water once a week in summer and once a fortnight in winter by standing the pot in wormerie liquid up to just under the rim NEVER water from the top or allow water to get into the crown They stand cooler temps but never below 50F only cut nback the stalk if it clearly goes dry and brown remove obviously dead leaves repot every 2 years when not in flower using proper orchid compost but with a very sharp sterile stanley knife or blade remove any dead /squishy roots good roots should be firm and green or greenish ......treat and cuts with a dusting of cinanmon i have 20 different phalenopsis many that i have rescued from owners about to dump them and theres never a day where one is not in flower
05/11/2009 at 18:38
I have had one for 3 years and it has grown new flower spikes each year plus the one it already had. It blooms each year and at the moment is still blooming from buds which opened in June! It is smothered in pink flowers.
05/11/2009 at 18:41
I was given an Orchid last year in July, it just keeps flowering. The flowers at the top of the spike went, and then it flowered down by the leaves. Now it's flowering at the top again. All I've done is spray it with a mist of water daily, it sits by a small south facing window which gets at most a couple of hours of sunlight daily.
05/11/2009 at 18:48
if possible cut the flowering stem down to a node before the last flower has fallen, regrowth is then almost certain.
05/11/2009 at 18:51
I too get a lot of enjoyment from making an Orchid re-flower. Not only the Phaleniopsis but also the Slipper Orchid, infact my Slipper Orchid which is now in full flower has more flower then what it had when I bought it. The other advantage is what other house plant can you get that will flower for 6 months or more at a time.
05/11/2009 at 18:59
I have one and water once a month stand in bowl of tepid tap water and one stable spoon of tomato feed for 1or2 hrs. At the moment i have 2 stems of flowers and had flowers since we bought it 2 yrs ago. Its beautiful.
05/11/2009 at 19:12
Got a pressie of a moth orchid in July and apart from watering every 1-2 weeks, have ignored it- and it is still in bloom. It's sitting on my mantlepiece which gets light in from one side from my window at the front of my house and also from my patio doors. I love it!
05/11/2009 at 19:24
Great article. I will put my orchid in the bathroom. I had it for 3 months and the leaves seemed to be fine. Its just the flower stem is not growing! My question is. Where exactly do i cut the stem? And do i need to water the orchid or just let it grow from shower steam?
05/11/2009 at 19:25
Excellent timiing with this topic! I need some advice - how do I propagate a moth orchid from leaves that are growing from a flower stem? I believe it is called a keiki. So far there are two leaves, one 10cm and the other 2cm and I can see new growth developing from the centre of these two, but no aerial roots. Can I propagate from this?
05/11/2009 at 20:03
A trick that I am sure everyone will appreciate. Whilst the orchid is not flowering & you are left with the boring green leaves - insert a "silk" orchid spray (available from garden centres) then remove when your orchid decides to flower again. The number of people that have passed comment on mine!! On the real ones - I use rainwater (at room temperature) once per 2 weeks - letting it run through the pot/roots & then allowing to drain. Success so far!!
05/11/2009 at 20:26
Moth orchids are FABULOUS. I buy them reduced when the flowers have faded. Cut to the third visible node preferably before all the flowers have fallen, sit on any window sill, water sparingly and wait. They never fail to re-flower. I have so many that I can "rest" non flowering plants on the spare room window sill and rotate those in flower to other rooms. I always have beautiful orchids on display to the amazement of my friends...but actually it so easy!!
05/11/2009 at 20:51
I want to know what to do with the flower spikes once all flowers have gone? Only 1 flower left now at end of each spike. My first orchid, it has flowered since June, really lovely.
05/11/2009 at 20:54
Cut the stem to the third visible node. If you do it now, before the final flower has dropped it will reflower much quicker. (This is because the flowering hormones are still flowing through the stem)
06/11/2009 at 07:29
help I made the mistake of cutting the dead stem off too low, How do I bring it to flower again?
06/11/2009 at 08:26
What a stupid article. I thought Gardener's World articles were to encourage people to grow plants, not the contrary! Moth Orchids (Phalaenopsis) are the easiest orchids to grow and they can easily flower year after year. The orchids are cultivated by millions in greenhouses. They are not protected plants and they should be in a tropical forest cannopy as much as any plant deserves to be in its natural habitat. If we only cultivate plants from our area, we didn't even were eating potatoes and carrots. It looks like this 'gardener' didn't have much to write about. Not funny, just stupid!
06/11/2009 at 09:45
I have just loved the orchid I bought 3 yrs ago thinking when it died, well that was it! But it's now growing a new (3rd annual) flower spike and hopefully will bloom again by Christmas. At one point the leaves went floppy and began to yellow, but after advice, repotting and TLC it has recovered. I.m so pleased - thanks for all the advice - it all helps!
06/11/2009 at 09:50
My advice to Madgecollier - and I'm not an expert... is just wait - I did the same but eventually it grew a new flower spike and, as I say it's now in it's 3rd year. Good Luck!
06/11/2009 at 09:52
Got three moth orchids one still in flower they sit on top of my china cupboard near a window should i move them to get them to flower again they are all healthy
06/11/2009 at 10:03
After all these questions, no-one has said how to get the moth orchid to flower when the flower stork has gone brown. I have had this happen and it has taken 2 years for a new one to appear. Any comment?
1 to 20 of 66 messages