London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
10 messages
27/05/2013 at 14:47
Would a wild pear tree act as pollinator for a domestic pear?
27/05/2013 at 15:20

Yes, katiebee, provided it is in flower at the same time as the cultivated tree.

29/05/2013 at 21:04
Yes katiebee, that's the lovely thing about having related trees growing in your garden or local area. Crab apples, for instance will pollinate apples, and so on. And BobTheGardener is quite right pointing out that these need to flower at exactly the same time so that bees can transfer pollen from one to the other.
17/06/2013 at 17:02
Seeing that photograph reminded me that a friend's father used to place a bottle over a fertilised pear and allow it to ripen in the bottle.

When almost ripe the pear and bottle were washed and the bottle filled with a brandy and vodka mix.

Now how do you get the deliciously seeped pear out again?
22/06/2013 at 20:54
I made the mistake of planting fruit trees in the ground last year that were supposed to miniature, they have romped away, now I am wondering how I can move these three trees that are now too close together, the height of the cherry that is supposed to be grown in a pot is at least ten foot, the apple tree is six foot, I cut the pear tree down but it has sprouted new shoots and leaves, wanted to give them a chance in the ground as I don't think they get enough water in a pot!!!!!!!.
22/06/2013 at 21:09
Marinelilium wrote (see)
Seeing that photograph reminded me that a friend's father used to place a bottle over a fertilised pear and allow it to ripen in the bottle.

When almost ripe the pear and bottle were washed and the bottle filled with a brandy and vodka mix.

Now how do you get the deliciously seeped pear out again?

You don't, that deliciously seeped pear is 90% alcohol! You keep topping the bottle with spirits, the pear must be kept covered. The best spirits to use is Calvados.

We still have a selfgrown pear in a bottle with Calvados that we made over 30 years ago, the pear still looks like new!

23/06/2013 at 12:22

Thanks for advice SwissSue. I respect your restraint too,  as I know I would be driven to keep poking and gouging at that 90% proof pear. (Like the monkey with a stick at the ant nest) ,,...

27/06/2013 at 19:00
My 2 yr old pear tree is healthy enough growing in a large patio container, but as was mentioned, suffered from june drop, i asked for advise at a local nursery and they suggested feeding it with tomato feed and in a months time give it FBB to nourish it. will this help bring it round, alas there are no buds on now they all dropped. Hopefully next year if i feed early on when new growth is there, i should eventually get fruit....
27/06/2013 at 19:05

Yes, that will help.  It's actually a Good Thing that it dropped it's fruit last year as a fruit tree shouldn't be allowed to produce for the first couple of years - you want it to establish a good root system first.

27/06/2013 at 19:15

Ah, interesting. Thank you !

email image
10 messages