London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
15 messages
03/12/2009 at 12:38
I have a friend who's a vegetarian and in September she came over for a meal and I made her a ratatouille lasagne with some of the veggies I grow including sweet peppers. However in November the peppers started to rot on the plant in the greenhouse, I was waiting for them to turn red which is the only way we like them. We don't have heating in the greenhouse, but it is bubble wrapped. I usually open the door/vents for a little while each day, but November was so wet, I presume damp was the problem?
03/12/2009 at 19:33
For most of the UK, peppers will not grow any more unless you have a heated greenhouse. It is too cold, too damp and not enough light. I cut the last of my peppers in November and put them an a sunny windowsill where they ripen in a few weeks.
07/12/2009 at 15:46
I have grown some hot and spicy chilly peppers and they look very healthy with a shiny red skin but they dont taste at all hot or spicy any suggestions as to what I have wrong regards Mick
08/12/2009 at 15:30
I have been producing many organic foods for years now and am trying to help inspire others to do the same, I grow a huge amount of fruit, vegetables and herbs Iand produce my own meats. If you would like to know more about producing your own organic food then visit my website www.thegoodlife-online.co.uk
10/12/2009 at 10:07
Dahlia Lover, I'm sure it is not only damp, but poor air circulation...because as soon as the weather turns icy, what do we do but wrap up with bubble polythene and shut down vents and windows. Poor air circulation in damp conditions encourages Botrytis and also other rots and moulds. Try to open vents and windows etc at every opportunity! Micky The heat of hot peppers varies enormously, take a look in the seed catalogues and you'll see that many now offer a sort-of heat rating, this might help you to select one that'll suit your taste buds!
11/12/2009 at 16:36
I have been growing Cherry Bomb (Devon Chilli Farm) for several years- easy to grow and are still in my unheated greenhouse as I write this comment. They are hanging like bright red fairy light bulbs and looking festive. Medium hot and delicious and will be still there in the NY.
13/01/2010 at 20:17
My 14 year old son and some friends need to raise money towards a expedition to Kenya in 2013, we had thought about growing some plants and veg to sell, space not a problem, limited grreenhouse shelves though.Any recommendations for plants to grow to sell and crop from, not just limited to peppers!
13/01/2010 at 20:17
OOPs, I meant in 2011!
24/07/2010 at 13:34
When do I pick the peppers, while still green or do they change colour when ready?
30/08/2010 at 09:10
i am growing peppers can you tell me why they are black not green they start off green then turn black
24/03/2011 at 10:49
do you pinch the growing point off your peppers for better crops
03/05/2011 at 10:22
ihave planted peppers and they are now seedling do i transplant into pots now or do i put into a growbag
28/11/2011 at 18:40
Micky - I've had similar results. I used the free seeds from GW magazine. Is that the link?
23/09/2012 at 21:48
when do you stop feeding pepper plants anyone know gerry
23/09/2012 at 21:57
gerry andrews wrote (see)
when do you stop feeding pepper plants anyone know gerry

Are you still picking? then feed once a week until they are finished

email image
15 messages