17 messages
29/05/2009 at 12:48
After sending for the free seeds from BBC Gardeners World I am enjoying seeing them start to grow I always plant Early potatoes and Runner Beans, but have never had the courage to try to grow seeds and am delighted to have seen them start to come through, I have planted them in Large Pots and am looking forward to my first taste of the Rosso Lettuce, Beetroot and Carrots.
03/06/2009 at 05:10
Parsnips seem to be very hard to grow here in Bulgaria! Have sown seed stright into ground to no avail. So after reading Pippa Greenwoods comments on growing parsnips I am going to try growing in bags, my vegetable garden, new this year seems to be mostly clay so it need a bit of work!
04/06/2009 at 12:35
last year my brussels looked like small cabbages instead of nice and tight. what did i do wrong.
06/06/2009 at 21:30
Carrots and parsnips - use a half a grow bag. Cut the bag around it middle to make a pot. Grow tomatos or potatos in it one year then save it. Plat carrots etc in it next year.
07/06/2009 at 18:21
I have not been very successful raising carrotts in the garden, I set them in early April and have seen nothing as yet. How ever not to be out done I decided to set some carrott seeds in pots of compost following onfrom tip given on Gardeners world and hey presto!!!Success..And quick too. They only took a couple of weeks to germinate in the green house..
08/06/2009 at 13:18
We grow carrots in pots, the buckets that supermarkets use for cut flowers with holes put in the bottom, using a mixture of multipurpose compost and garden soil or john innes. I try to sow them quite thinly but never quite manage it but don't thin them just enjoy the tinnies. We also grow potatoes in pots using the same compost mix as before, we got blight one year when we were growing them in the ground but not since we started using the pots.
13/06/2009 at 06:55
When do I know when to harvest my potatoes, Im growing them in pots along with all my other veg pots I havent tried carrot growing yet but will do pots again !
15/06/2009 at 20:36
I'm in the process of build a large deep raised bed in my veg area. Rather late I know but life has a habit of getting in the way of gardening. Am using three lite pallets across the back and one cut pallet along the front. So yes it will be slanted 3' high at back 2' high in front and about 11'6" x 3'6" in area. I hope to raise winter crops on it so want to fix fleece or polythene sheeting to it, hence the slope to the frame.
22/06/2009 at 09:51
Potatoes are generallly ready to harvest 12-16 weeks after planting, but the precise timing depends on the variety and type ie main, early, extra early etc, and of course the location of your garden and the weather conditions. Earlies are often ready to harvest once they have flowered.....a useful guide, BUT not all varieties flower reliably!
30/07/2009 at 09:47
I grew my first carrots last year and did really well, so this year I've gone mad and we've been picking and thinning for weeks now. The other day I pulled two large white coloured carrots, why are they white?
23/04/2010 at 22:33
It is certainly interesting for me to read the post. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon. BTW, pretty good design you have here, but how about changing it once in a few months? Sara Stone reusable coffee filter
24/04/2010 at 22:09
I grew some carrots last season and was disappointing at first that they didn't seem to grow, but they came in and I got a decent tasty yield. I too had problems with rocky soil with took some elbow grease to get rid of most of the rocks. Using a lot of potting soil and mulch will greatly improve the soil. Haven't done raised gardening yet but thinking of having a raised bed next season.
15/08/2010 at 15:23
I love roat vegetables puree, all the more from vegetables that I grow in my garden.
20/09/2011 at 16:08
i like this site it is very nice Pizza Delivery Bags http://www.deliverybagsus.com/
28/11/2011 at 18:38
I dug up some carrots from my garden which were planted in the autumn. Two were fine, one was forked and the other was very strong and dry. I also dug up my potatoes which I grew in a container and got lots of new potatoes. How do I store them. The yield was better than last year.
05/09/2013 at 18:08

Please can you advise me as to what ailment has caused some of my potatoes to turn into white oozing puss-ridden gunge? Is it something airbourne or does the culprit reside in the soil.

Furthermore, do I pick my apples when they are the right size or when they are the right colour?

05/09/2013 at 18:13

Alan , your potatoes sound like they have a nasty blight fungus. Do they smell? Did the top leaves turn brown?

You pick aples when they will part easily from the tree. If you cut one in half and the pips are brown, then they are ready. Size and redness depends on variety and crop load on the tree.

email image
17 messages