Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Growing runner beans

My crop has been superb this year. It must be all the rain! I do hope they keep cropping well into autumn, so will follow your advice.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I've had an excellent crop of runner beans, some days picking far more than could be eaten so there's a store in the freezer now. I'm still picking alot but down to picking every other day now.

Interesting what you say about french beans, I tried four varieties this year for the first time and have been pleased with their crop, they're still going strong and knowing they do better in a hot summer means I'll be growing them again as mine have done well despite all the rain.

• My freezer is full with runner beans and there is still more to pick. Its certainly been (ha ha) a good year fot them. Have no more than a handful of french beans but that maybe because i planted borlotti beans instead, my fault. The rain gave them a good start and saved my back but not trailng backwards and forwards to water tank at allotment. It will be lovely to be eating them all through the winter.

• How is the best way to freeze runner beans? Mike
  • If you're going to use then within a few weeks just prepare them as you would for the table, then bag, excluding as much air as possible, and freeze in the sort of amounts you will use for each meal.

If you want them to keep well for more than a few weeks, then prepare as you would for the table, blanch in boiling water for 45 secs - 1 min, cool immediately in chilled water then drain and bag and freeze as above.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I've finished picking my runner beans..... all 5 of them! Despite starting plants in pots, all but 1 were eaten (by slugs/snails). Some have grown new shoots but too late and no flowers yet. Now covered with blackfly!!
  • I freeze my beans by cutting them up as you would, then blanch them in boiling water and then rinse them in cold water, dry them off and then freeze in bags .I weigh them out enough for the 3 of us for one meal. Has always worked and its lovely to dish them up with the christmas dinner

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    My beans have been pathetic this year, have only been able to get a few decent pickings- the slugs had a field day. But last year I had a great crop, and made a batch of runner bean chutney, still got a few jars left.
  • Interesting chat about runner beans. I realise one can place them in the freezer without blanching, but would love to hear from anyone who does this, and also uses the blanching method. Do they find a marked difference in the texture and quality when they come to eat them?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I don't know about runner beans and freezing, but a friend swears by not blanching french beans; says that if he blanches them they become soggy.

• J.J.J.J. Posts: 23

I cut my beans and put them in freezer i dont blanch them. but i alllways put them in cold water to cook. they tast great .