London (change)
Fri 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
11/05/2014 at 16:17

where am l going wrong????? l planted a russian vine two years ago and its only grown a foot! looking at your posts maybe l should count my blessings

11/05/2014 at 16:21

Stand well back Patricia - it's  just been getting comfy and is about to grow VERY BIG!!! 

11/05/2014 at 16:50

ha ha, l`ll keep you posted......l havent even had a flower yet!

11/05/2014 at 16:58

Do not plant this! A neighbour foolishly did..... it smothered a holly tree,hedge and a garage at the end of our garden and my husband almost broke his neck trying to cut it back.( tugged on a large vine and fell off the ladder!). why not try a clematis? We have one(can't recall the name sorry )that grows at a rate of knots but is controllable. 

11/05/2014 at 18:10

thanks, looks like ld better dispose of it whle l can.

11/05/2014 at 18:13

Good idea, they're not very attractive. Lots of nicer plants about

11/05/2014 at 20:00

The clematis we have is Clematis Montana 'Mayleen'. Should be called 'mile a minute', but does have delightful pale purple flowers and is controllable. 

11/05/2014 at 20:01

We have it growing over a dead pear tree that would be difficult to remove.

11/05/2014 at 20:12

thanks all. it will be in the skip tomorrow.

10/06/2014 at 15:09

Oh Dear - I too should have looked this up before I bought a single RV from the local garden centre three weeks ago.  I've planted in a pot on the patio and trailed the existing vines over wires along an exposed fence that I want to hide on one side of the terrace.  It;s just starting to get going and extend along the wires.

Is it going to be more controllable in a pot?  Is it sufficient just to keep pruning when it reached the size I want?  Is it best to throw it out while It's still young?

Yours

Worried of Mill Hill.

10/06/2014 at 15:53

Throw it out now.  If you have neighbours they will not be happy to have that inflicted on them.

10/06/2014 at 15:57

It'll be alright in a pot Gerry. The only thing to worry about is that it grows fast and left unchecked for a long period it can cause problems.

Since yours is in a pot (which I'm hoping is on solid ground and not soil) then it will be OK. Have a look where it's heading every couple of weeks and give it a cutting back when it's heading off where you don't want it. Don't be tempted to let it grow somewhere which would be difficult for you to access - then the tempation to leave it for another day or week kicks in and before you know it months have gone by and it becomes a major job.

Keep the occasional eye on it, cut back when needed and it will be fine - It's a plant, not an evil genius!

10/06/2014 at 15:59

A montana type Clematis would be a much better alternative for your site Gerry. Best in the ground though- none of these would do well in pots as they're too restricted by them. You'll get flowers in spring and you can just prune it to keep it where you want it. Readily available - pale pink or white varieties. The white 'Grandiflorum' is particularly attractive I think. 

Alternatively - if you have to use pots - there are loads of Clematis which will be happy on your fence but they'll need quite a bit of attention to keep them happy unless the pots are very big. Clematis are hungry plants.

10/06/2014 at 17:08

Another concern about using a Russian Vine as cover is that it's deciduous. Depending on the length of the site you wish to cover then it might be worth looking at evergreen shrubs in however many pots/troughs you need lined up against the fence.

Euonymus or Aucube, while not spectacular, will give thick cover all year round. And if you don't mind tying in then I have seen periwinkle used as wall cover. They're all tough evergreen plants that don't need mollycoddling.

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages