London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
19 messages
17/03/2009 at 06:56
I've just found a packet of tulips that I bought but obviously forgot to plant! Is it too late now - I live in Provence, France. Regards Roslyn
17/03/2009 at 10:44
Sadly, I think it's too late. However, if the bulbs are still solid and sound then do try planting them in a quiet spot and see if they'll grow at all. It all depends how they've been stored, whether the bulbs have dried out, or started to decay. If they appear sound then do give them the benefit of the doubt and plant them. And do post feedback later in the year for us all to hear exactly how they performed.
17/03/2009 at 16:12
Hi: Just love your idea of planting bulbs in plastic mesh pots and popping them into your lovely garden containers in the Spring. Will certainly keep this idea for the Fall and enjoy them next year.
17/03/2009 at 20:09
Thank you for the advice, I shall plant the bulbs tomorrow and let you know.
20/03/2009 at 08:18
Another bulb question. I'm redesigning my garden and have lots of burgeoning irises which are now in a place I don't want them to be. Would it be safe to move and replant somewhere else in the garden. Thank you in advance for any advice. Regards Roslyn
20/03/2009 at 20:52
not happy with a whole hour dedicated to vertical gardening.i would imagine only about 2% of gardens are grown in this way.So to quote what Brian Clough said about football - its better on the ground.Still enjoy the programme
20/03/2009 at 23:33
Roselyn, what sort of iris are you talking about? If they are flag iris then yes, you can transplant, but replant with the rhizome resting at soil level so the sun reaches it. However, if possible, try waiting until flowering is over in June, and then transplant. Congested rhizomes can be split up at teh same time into separate flags.
21/03/2009 at 12:56
I'm not sure of their name, they were here when we bought the house 2yrs ago - also I'm knew to gardening! All I know is that they are simple, pretty looking, liliac ones and yellow ones and are to be found just about everywhere in this region (Provence) sometimes it seems growing wild. Will work my design around them and then maybe move after flowering as you say. Thank you Roslyn
21/03/2009 at 14:50
Hi, I have very limited space in my backgarden and would like to use the containers that I currently use for Spring bulbs (Daffs, Snowdrops, Crocusses, Tulips)again for summer flowers. What do I do with the bulbs until Autum? Can I take the bulbs out and put them in the gardenshed or would I need to replant them in a temporary container all next to each other until later this year and keep them in a corner of the backgarden? thank you in advance for your reply. Regards, Nadine
22/03/2009 at 16:24
Hi Roslyn I move to this house 2 year next month ago and there were varios iris in over grown boarders and waterloged boarders so early summer last year I looked in a gardening book and dug up the iris and cut away 2" healthy pieces of rhizones and planted them around the edge of a flower bed that dose get some sun.Being careful not to cover them but to anker them down by burrying there roots ive had great sucess all have lovely thick healthy growth which hopefully will have flowers in them, when I did this I thought it was a little drastic throwing away maybe more plant than I had replanted but if they're not in the right place and you did'nt buy them Just go for it.Looking at the amount of new plants I have in that bed I'm going to have to give some away but I do have a friend who likes iris.I've also grown some iris from seed over winter in an unheated greenhouse they are giant whites which I have at our caravan so I know I will be waiting a few years for these to flower but thats what gardening is about.
23/03/2009 at 06:37
Not a bulb query I'm afraid but a desperate one. A 'gardener' who came to trim the hedges a few weeks ago decided to 'tidy up' a rather rampant bed at the back of the garden. This involved razing everything to the ground - a horrible bamboo that was there courtesy of my predecessors, various vinca, ferns, and other stuff. I'm most concerned though about two azalea bushes, about 4 years old, that are now 6-inch stumps. Is there any chance that I can save them? Thanks so much!
23/03/2009 at 09:21
Hi all, I just bought some daffodil and crocus bulbs which are already growing(starting to flower in the case of one crocus)and I've planted them outside. Can anyone tell me if they're likely to survive or should they have been grown on another way? I've never grown bulbs before. Thankyou for any advice. :)
23/03/2009 at 14:02
Can anyone tell me if this is unusual. I have quite a few wild primroses in my garden, and i've just noticed that the flowers on one plant are pure white. Also another has deep yellow flowers. I know the blog is about bulbs, but i didn't know where else to post this!! any comments would be appreciated.
13/04/2009 at 10:09
I have a small south facing terrace garden on the Isle of Dogs in London. Last summer I used growbags for some vegetables and rather than get rid of them when finished I planted a few Tulip, Daffodil and Crocus bulbs in them. They are flowing now and they look amazing. I was wondering if I could leave the bulbs in the growbags for next year? Or will I have to dig them up? During the Feb snow the bags froze solid but the bulbs still flowered a few weeks later. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
22/04/2009 at 11:37
I have a window box that has finished its display of bulbs and now the sweet peas and trailing geraniums are starting to take over the flowery mantle. how long do i need to leave the leaves on the bulbs befor trimming them back (to ground) to give the space to the second round of flowers and keep the window tidy?
25/02/2010 at 17:06
Can anyone help me please. I planted some spring bulbs in Autumn 2009 but as yet nothing has flowered. Is this normal? The bulbs have green leaves/shoots from them but no flowers. I planted over 400 bulbs and only 3 crocus bulbs are starting to flower. It has snowed and rained quite alot here in suffolk...are everyones bulbs taking longer to flower this year because of the bad weather??/
15/03/2010 at 15:34
I have some corcus plants in my garden. I want to re-plant them to a different location. Is this a good time to do that??
22/03/2010 at 10:24
Reply to Sadia: you can transplant crocus carefully after flowering while still in leaf, but water well to ensure they keep growing and die down naturally. Alternatively, wait until leaves have died down in early summer and transplant while dormant.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
re: Daffodils Very disappointed with my daffodils this year as very few flowers. What is the reason for this? Should I feed them? What should I do to improve them for next year? I would appreciate any comments.
email image
19 messages