London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
9 messages
07/02/2011 at 15:05
I've just received my Polianthes tuberosa bulbs -20 of them- which I will plant in four big pots to give me a line of wonderfully scented flowers for the summer. In between seeing to the summer months to come, I am planting snowdrops, anemones and Tulipa tarda in the green and reveling in the thought of joys to come as I notice, while doing so, that my beautiful peonies have two inch sprouts showing. The most beautiful thing in my garden today? Iris unguilaris,which is taller than the reticulata irises but not as tall as the summer ones and is a lovely soft blue colour. I've come to the conclusion the only quiet time in the garden is when it is under snow!
07/02/2011 at 15:35
When is the best time to plant dahlias and is it a good idea to start Dahlias off first in pots or plant them straight in the ground.
07/02/2011 at 19:26
Do any of the spring bulbs provide a good sources of nectar for bumblebees?
09/02/2011 at 16:39
Had a lovely day yesterday in Somerset photographing snowdrops at East Lambrook and at Avon Bulbs... great to feel the sun on your back and see the flowers at last! http://www.markboltonphotography.co.uk/snowdrops-east-lambrook/
11/02/2011 at 09:03
Reply to honestgreengrass: Yes, I think many spring bulbs provide food for bees. I enjoyed watching a large bee (not a bumblebee) feeding from crocus last spring, and covering itself with yellow pollen in the process. So while I have seen bees feeding from spring bulbs I haven't specifically seen bumblebees feeding. Not sure if anyone else has.
15/02/2011 at 17:13
I need to turf a part of my lawn, it is under a protected tree for the last couple of years i have tried everything i can think off. when will be the best time to put new turfs down and have you any suggestions
21/02/2011 at 20:58
I was gazing out of my conservatory window this morning listening to the rain battering the roof, depressed that I couldn't get on with the outdoor tasks I had planned, when the postman delivered my bumper copy of GW Magazine. Problem solved! I have spent the entire day reading it from cover to cover and am now making a list of the plants I will buy from Alan's 20 Best Plants Ever. Thank you GW team, you really brought the sun out for me today even though the rain kept pelting down.
13/05/2011 at 12:03
There have recently been speculations about Energy Saving Lights Bulbs, particularly CFLs, with claims that they can cause all kinds of read more…handystores.co.uk
28/11/2011 at 18:43
AFTER BULBS HAVE FLOWERED AND GONE OVER SHOULD WE LEAVE IN GROUND OR DIG UP AND STORE READY FOR NEXT YR?, AND I'M THINKING OF GROWING A PEONY, BUT KNOW IF PLANTED TOO DEEP THEY DONT DO WELL IF AT ALL, SO HOW DEEP SHOULD I PLANT THEM AND WHEN?, AND CAN YOU TELL ME THE NAME OF ONE THAT HAS NICE PARFUM?.
email image
9 messages