London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 38 of 38 messages
04/04/2011 at 16:33
Hi my scented night stock are coming along just fine in my green house, real healthy looking,but when do i put them in my garden and how tall will they grow and do i need stakes so they dont fall over, and how high do they grow, FIRST TIME GROWER. Help please.
05/04/2011 at 09:01
Jo - try this direct link to get the voucher: http://www.edenproject.com/documents/Voucher2for1GardenersWorld.pdf Janine - good luck, mine will be grown using the 'forcing method' too. Might work? trishar - it sounds like your sweet peas are suffering due to lack of light. Are they in a well-lit spot? If you pinch out the tips of the plants they should recover. Re your night scented stock, I wouldn't bother staking them. You should plant them out after all risk of frost has passed. Depending on where you live that could be between now and mid-May. You'll nee to harden them off too. Put them outside during the day, then take them in at night. Do this for a week before planting them out, and they should be fine. Kate
05/04/2011 at 09:43
Greenfingers, it's your garden & they're your sunflowers!!!! Tell your neighbour 'Tough!'
05/04/2011 at 16:19
THANKS KATE :>)
10/04/2011 at 16:44
hi my sunflowers are now 5ins tall, when can i start to feed them,and is it true not to water near the stem as they will rot?
23/04/2011 at 21:51
Try and grow some more and see what happens because the ame happened to me but the second lot grew ok strangely enough.
07/05/2011 at 13:59
Hi Kate, I m just about to put my sunflowers in pots and some in the garden, i have never grown them before but they are looking good and healthy,15 ins tall now, i am having a race with my brother to see who grows the tallest, and biggest head, CAN I FEED MY SUNFLOWERS WITH CHICKEN PELLETS TO HAVE WHOPPING SUNFLOWERS,OR COULD U SUGEST A ANY GOOD FEEDER BESIDES MIRICLE GROW OR PELLETTS.
27/05/2011 at 06:49
trishar - chicken pellets are a good choice as they're rich in nitrogen so will aid growth. Miracle grow is more of a balanced fertiliser and will encourage flower growth as well. You don't want it to flower - not for ages, as this will reduce its overall height. Kate
16/06/2011 at 18:52
My daughters 4 sunflowers are approx. 4.5 ft tall - but are growing in pots and wondered if planting into the ground will encourage further growth????
18/07/2011 at 18:18
My Triffids (Sunflowers) are being eaten by something at the base of their stems. Only crawly things I have seen are ants. Anyone any ideas? These have had more attention than my car in the last few months (oh what you do for a child, here we'll plant a few seeds.... ). No I have never grown anything before. I have 12 still standing from 21 seeds. Some about 6ft and one about to go to the compost heap in the sky tomorrow as its stem has been eaten to about 1 cm :(
23/07/2011 at 12:32
My sunflowers are well over 2mtrs but the leaves are being eaten by something that I cant seem to locate please help !!
06/08/2011 at 13:10
my sun flower has one stem and sixteen flowers is this unuseal
06/08/2011 at 15:04
My sunflowers are very tall(well over 6Ft) with thick stems & plenty of leaves but with no sign of a flower. Am i Doing something wrong?
13/08/2011 at 14:06
just took the tape to my sunflower its 9ft 4inchs is this big and when will it flower
29/08/2011 at 14:15
Daughter bought packet with pot and three sunflower seeds in at easter.i planted seeds in pot and watered regular kept it covered.after several days they started to show,let them grow to about a inch high,then replanted them in three bigger pots.kept them indoors for two weeks grew to three inches,replanted again in bigger pots and placed outside just given tap water no feed.two of them grew to ten foot tall and flowered,now died off,third one is still growing and is thirteen foot six inches tall and yet to flower
28/11/2011 at 18:43
Hi Kate... Already have a few hundred Giant Sunflowers on the go at Cantley Manor but not the Russian Giant vareity...looking forwards to germinating a few more and seeing how we all do...Game On :-)
03/03/2012 at 21:16
I've never grown sunflowers but promised myself that this year I would try. Our back garden has sun almost all day, I'm planning to grow mine in a tub against the bungalow wall which heats up nicely. That will hopefully help my sunflowers along. I'll give them a dose of nettle feed as well, and maybe some mulch. Might as well do what I can to see what happens. I'm not expecting miracles but even a reasonable height will please me. I'm only 4ft 10ins so I'll see if the sunflower can beat me.
24/08/2013 at 21:30

Can anyone please help identify these giants in this thread? 

Thank you! 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/giant-sunflowers/112116.html

email image
21 to 38 of 38 messages