London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
04/04/2011 at 14:53
My sweet peas have been sown two differnt ways soaking over night and just sowing straight into compost filled toilet tubes. The soaked ones grew leggy but the other ones grew ok. They were both put in the same window sill to grow but are still growing ok.
04/04/2011 at 16:50
Is it ok to transplant autumn sown sweet peas outside now?
04/04/2011 at 21:56
Reply to clematis: Yes, if the weather forecast remains good then I'd plant them out at the base of some support that they can climb up. Do water regularly after planting if the weather stays dry. Hasn't it been a dry March – well, it has been in the east Midlands. And 'green fingers'– interesting observation. I'll have to do the same trial and compare to see if I get the same results.
05/04/2011 at 09:33
I sowed some sweet peas in loo roll tubes a few weeks ago & put them on the kitchen widowsill. Some of the seeds have germinated, most have not. Have never soaked sweetpea seeds overnight & usually sow them into pots & have never had any trouble with them germinating. Infact I always end up with too many plants & give loads to my neighbour. Sowed some more on Friday into loo roll holders & some in to pots. Did soak these seeds overnight so will be interesting to see what happens. Sowed 4 of my Russian Giant seeds in to pots on Thursday. Will sow a few more next week. I've never grown giant sunflowers before as I only have a tiny garden so I usually grow the smaller versions. I'm really looking forward to my giants(If they grow that big, of course):)
05/04/2011 at 12:55
Ive grown my sweet peas in loo rolls and they have all grown really well, i did the same last year and had a really good show of sweet peas. Ive sown some of my Russian Giant seeds today, never grown the giant ones before, so here's hoping for a big one.
07/04/2011 at 18:40
I sowed some of the sweet peas into loo rolls tubes and they've all germinated, but have now developed mildew on the tubes. How can I avoid this happening?
07/04/2011 at 22:17
I've grown sweet peas and many others in cardboard tubes and paper pots, and yes they have always developed a mould over their surface. However, I've not noticed this has been detrimental to the growth of the plants, so wouldn't worry. It may look unsightly, but has anyone else actually found that this mould causes a problem to seedling growth?
07/04/2011 at 23:16
I have also used the old toilet roll trick and soaked my seeds for the first time this year. As they were only planted at the weekend I await their arrival with anticipation! Higgy http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/
08/04/2011 at 09:07
Does anyone know if the little black seeds that are now bursting out of the 'pods' that formed at the end of the amaryllis stem after the flower had died eventually would grow into a new bulb?
08/04/2011 at 13:53
I leave our Sweet Peas to there own devices, I let the seeds drop and "fingerscrossed" they have done really in the past. I am hoping that the bad weather we had this winter hasn't prevented them from germinating, so will have to wait and see what happens. The bamboo trellis is ready and waiting for them.
08/04/2011 at 14:50
love the picture to this topic. up middle finger to you too.
08/04/2011 at 18:01
sack monty don...he advertises the daily mail on itv.. i am disgusted.
10/04/2011 at 08:29
I have sown my sweet peas in root-trainers in the greenhouse and they are well grown now.Can they go into the garden now or must they wait until May? I am in the North of England
10/04/2011 at 21:12
Help, I have a Rhododendron which I was given last May for my birthday and it is looking very sad. No buds and a few brown leaves. It is in partial shade by the pond, should I transplant it, feed it, or just leave it alone and hope for the best. I do have acid soil so that isn't the problem. Many thanks, LillieB
11/04/2011 at 10:21
Yes, it can take over the whole sweet pea plant and then it doesn't get flowers. I water with Cheshunt compound onto the affected area of the pots and it kills it off! Plants then grow vigorously.
11/04/2011 at 11:56
I read with interest the various comments on the growing of sweet peas and sunflowers given free in gw. My plea to you adam is, if gw intend to give away free packets of seeds to gw readers, can this be done much earlier or prior notification be given, as many of us order seeds in at around xmas time or just shortly after?
11/04/2011 at 15:48
Hello Tom. Thanks for your feedback. The free sunflower and sweet pea seeds were trailed on page 129 of the January 2011 issue of the magazine, in response to previous requests for advance warning of seed giveaways. Unfortunately, production deadlines make it difficult to trail giveaways any earlier than this. Sorry that you missed the early notice on this occasion, and we hope you will be sowing the free seeds anyway!
11/04/2011 at 19:26
What i meant to add to the above is a question about convulvulus. It rampages all over the garden and grows so fast you only have to turn your back for five minutes. What is the best way to get rid of it for ever?
12/04/2011 at 09:26
I'm still waiting for mine to germinate, they're in a cold frame at the moment so hopefully won't be too long! http://tootingflowershow.wordpress.com/
17/04/2011 at 20:45
I'm trying to locate a white flowered plant called 'zalusianskia'. Not sure if that is the correct spelling. Has anyone seen it anywhere or know of it?
1 to 20 of 26 messages