London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
10 messages
07/03/2014 at 15:21
Gosh, you've inspired me. I have about 30 pots of healthy looking sweet pea sown in Autumn. They've been out of the greenhouse for approx 3 weeks and I shall plant them this weekend. Thanks!
07/03/2014 at 18:55

There's a lot of misunderstanding about sweet peas.....they're not frost tender bedding plants, they will survive many degrees of frost.

I would just add, they don't like cold biting winds.

Lyn
07/03/2014 at 19:01

Our night temps in the south west are forcasted to go down to 1c next week, I shalln't be putting mine out yet.

07/03/2014 at 19:05
Lyn wrote (see)

Our night temps in the south west are forcasted to go down to 1c next week, I shalln't be putting mine out yet.

But they are hardy annuals and as such not affected by frost.

Lyn
07/03/2014 at 19:49

Tried it before David, they were not good, maybe its the high altitude or the strong winds, but they seem to benefit from being held back until April. I havent even sowed the late ones yet.

07/03/2014 at 20:11
Lyn wrote (see)

Tried it before David, they were not good, maybe its the high altitude or the strong winds, but they seem to benefit from being held back until April. I havent even sowed the late ones yet.

Whatever works for you is best, Lyn.....and yes, cold winds do affect them.

As I've said several times on the other thread, it's quite feasible to sow the seed in open ground in October (even in harsh winters) and they will be fine.

08/03/2014 at 21:40

Will start hardening off mine tomorrow! Only grew sweet peas for the first time last year but loved them. I would be really grateful if you could tell me how to grow them up an obelisk with runner beans. Thanks.

09/03/2014 at 09:15

morning, david, can i just ask what do you grow in beds before you put sweet peas in, i've got 1 small bed i've left with just couple of spring bulbs, but want to put some in front, this is full of perennials, mainly geraniums, should i dig them all up before sp s go in, also put new shoots yesterday and today out in open porch, bringing in at night, mainly to keep out of way of mice,but to protect from wind too, is this a good idea, thanks

09/03/2014 at 09:19
I d like to grow sweet peas in the same planter as my corkscrew hazel. Any advice or shall I just throw in some seeds and when? Thanks.
09/03/2014 at 10:36

Have no problem with sharing what I know about sweet pea growing folks, but if this thread evolves into a Q&A thread, it will perhaps get a tad confusing when there is already a similar & long running one in The Potting Shed.

email image
10 messages