41 to 52 of 52 messages
18/09/2009 at 11:30
Can Botrytis from Rasberry plants cause tomato blight?
21/09/2009 at 09:10
Tomato blight could not be caused by Botrytis from a raspberry as they are totally different fungi, so you can relax on that one! Defionitely don't use compost from around blighted tomatoes in any area where tomatoes or potatoes might eb grown in case it contains infected plant debris and spores of the blight fungus.
22/09/2009 at 22:39
Hi, this is my first post so be gentle. I visited Gardener's World Live this year and took some plants to the plant swap. I obtained some excellent plants and six tomatoe plants which they were giving away free. I think the variety should have been F1 Shirley but one of my plants is something else. The fruit are purple/red with a green cap. Does anybody know what variety this tomatoe is? Please help.
02/02/2010 at 14:07
I grew some "hundreds and thousands in 2009 they were absolutely brilliant we had hundreds and hundreds from each plant. The taste was fantastic. Outdoor and no blight, they were still being cropped in December as we took them into the greenhouse. We got our seeds from a small seed store on the web.It was www.tomatoseedsuk.co.uk
19/02/2010 at 17:03
http://roostershamblin.wordpress.com/ would you please spend a few minutes checking out my chicken blog because it is very informative about all things chicken related. I have been raising more than 50 breeds of chickens 40 years.
19/03/2010 at 11:12
I've been a small time gardener & veg grower for a number of years but had never suffered the dreaded blight! It got my potatoes & tomatoes last years. For once I grew the greenhouse tomatoes in grow bags and due to new veg plot being put together my spuds were also in bags. Outdoor tomatoes straight into soil. However, NOTHING WAS SPARED!! Normally I’d tip the compost from bags back into garden & dig in, but I couldn’t make up my mind up whether this was a good idea or not & so the bags still sit there..... Is it safe & if not what to do with it??? Can somebody help me with this blight plight??
15/04/2010 at 12:46
Hello Pippa, Hello All, Well, we're finally into the new allotment growing season here in Staffordshire - about three weeks later than last year, I have to add! - and I'd like some advice on combating TOMATO MOTH. I notice there was only one post about it last year, and as a novice allotmenteer I'd really like to know how I can prevent, or at least cut down on, this 'orrible pest! By the time I even realised there were caterpillars on both outdoor and greenhouse tomato varieties they were happily boring holes into the tomatoes and stripping the leaves... I garden organically as best I can, but as a novice veggie grower, when you see all your hard work disappearing before your eyes the temptation to reach for something that'll zap the little blighters is hard to resist! Resist I did though, and resorted to patiently picking and shaking them off every morning to be disposed of quickly and painlessly, i.e. under my boot... But, as I'm a bit squeamish and would really rather avoid that route this year, can anyone suggest preventatives? I grew Shirley, Moneymaker and a plum tomato called 'Roma IV' outside, and an absolutely outstanding large-fruited PINK tomato called 'Rose de Berne' in the greenhouse - the tomato sauce from this variety has to be tasted to be believed, and each slice is just the right size for a sandwich ;-) Oh, and they stood up to the blight far better than any of the F1 varieties too. Any advice will be gratefully received, and very likely acted on!
06/05/2010 at 12:43
Hi Great article and some good comments too on the 'blight' subject. I am an enthusiast myself and love helping others to start with this amazing hobby. I found that it's good to grow upside down tomatoes for least problems. Maybe the info may help some of you. Keep up the good work... Lisa Lovelock
22/05/2010 at 19:16
I planted 4 tomato plants last year and they develped blight. Can I plant in the same area this year?
28/06/2010 at 09:09
first time i have tried growing tomatoes i am growing them in pots 10 inch flowering fine getting leaf curl help what do i do is there a good pesticides
02/08/2010 at 16:13
I have a cool greenhouse and every year I grow tomatoes - Sungold, Shirley and Sweet Million this year. I especially love the Sunglod as they are small and sweet. One of my grandsons and my great grandson really love them and I'm doing my best to keep up with their appetites! I grow them in grow bags on top of Bullrush polystyrene water tanks and find them very successful. This year I have been having trouble with caterpillers eating the leaves and some of the tomatoes. Does anyone have a remedy?
28/11/2011 at 18:39
My Shirley and Sungold tomatoes have been rampant this year and I have been very careful to keep an eye on the blight. Anything that has looked suspcious I have removed. The Shirley's have been slower to ripen but I put that down to the wetter and overcast days. The plants have been outside in a growbag which the plants have not been covered since the glorious Berkshire sunshine in June. I would like to see my crop continue into late September. The only downside is that I have had to put a cage around the base as my younger Westie Chili Pepper has been helping herself to the tomatoes as they ripen along with my strawberries and my green peppers. At least I have more growing.
email image
41 to 52 of 52 messages