London (change)
Tue 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
21 to 40 of 103 messages
29/04/2008 at 11:28
Is it true that tomatoes and cucumbers cannot be grown together in the same greenhouse
29/04/2008 at 14:36
If you're growing cordon toms then remove the little sideshoots which grown out from between the main stem and the trusses until you get around 8 trusses high than nip out the top to encourage more bushy growth.

Hanging basket- bush type toms are also great to grow and dont require any pinching out. Good Luck

29/04/2008 at 18:24
This is my first time. when do I start feeding them? I have been told it is too early but they have just sprouted yellow blooms??? help
30/04/2008 at 17:23
Can anyone tell me what the little dark rust coloured marks can be on my "Tumbling Tom" tomatoes. They are outdoors in a hanging basket and have small flowers on but do not seem to have grown for a couple of weeks. I have only recently become a keen if ignorant gardener and would be most upset if my efforts do not literally bear fruit!
09/05/2008 at 11:33
It's still a bit early to put toms outside. Mine too are quiet large but I put mine out this time last year and they suffered badly when we had a late cold snap.

I would say on balance it's not worth putting them outside for at least a couple more weeks- unless you live in the south of the country where you might get away with it.

12/05/2008 at 07:58
First time grower, after planting in grow bags inside a greenhouse small wispy flies are congregating around base of plants. They fly up when watering. Should I be concerned?
15/05/2008 at 16:08
To val Cucumbers and Toms will work Cucumbers on a frame in the hottest part of greenhouse mine is the end of 12x10 ft Toms need air circulating so windows and door open if necessary their end always have yellow sticky wax strips in greenhouse for whitefly especially cucumber end These do not catch Bees Ihave grown these together for 20 yrs Water Toms from the Ground not over the plant as when they are hot the tomatoes will mark and split i take off all the lower leaves of the plants to expose the trusses when they are set to keep air circulating and stop disease as the commercial growers do Tomatoes are marsh plants and need a lot of water Iwas told a gallon a day per plant also keep a regular temp not too hot The tomatoe i like best for salad and slicing is Alicante large and firm Enjoy your Gardening
17/05/2008 at 13:01
For years my mother grow toms (money) and had no problems with them and for a few years they where not available, until this year and are growing very well outside in the garden. I have tried other varieties but did not get on with them. My family love toms there great.
20/05/2008 at 16:41
Help, My tomato plants are over 5ft tall and taking over the nursery. When will they stop growing-they started as seeds that the nursery children planted and they are like the proverbial bean stalk! What can I do?
23/05/2008 at 12:45
I am growing several varieties of Tomato in my greenhouse and on one of them the upper leaves are curling, there is no apparent discolouring, what should I do?
23/05/2008 at 21:35
Hello, I am growing tomatoes for the first time. I have planted 3 plants in a grow bag in the greenhouse last week and have watered them every day but they are wilting and the some of the leaves are very dry and look likely to fall off any time soon! I bought them as plants and they are about 30cm tall. Please can anyone advise what I am doing wrong!
25/05/2008 at 06:26
My tomato plants which I am growing on the window sill have some leaves which curl downwards but are not discoloured. What could be the cause please !
26/05/2008 at 10:54
I am growing tomatoes in my conservatory, the instructions state I should remove leaves up to the first truss when they are 120cm tall - what is the first truss??
28/05/2008 at 12:26
First truss is the first 'branch' up from ground level where the flowers are
28/05/2008 at 13:14
I purchased three tomato plants from a market. Dunno what type they are but I planted them outside in my small garden and they seem to be growing nicely. The previous postings have been helpful but I never know which leaves to discard in order to improve the tomato. At what stage do I 'nip-off' the top growth foliage?
28/05/2008 at 16:09
please advise on the correct pot size when using ring culture
02/06/2008 at 01:58
When & how often do I start to feed my tomatoes.They have started to flower now. Many thanks.
02/06/2008 at 14:00
I have a 13" pot. How many tomato plants can i put in. Also do i feed when they start flowering
04/06/2008 at 23:20
Danny, I have read somewhere that it's time now for you to feed the tomato plants after they have flowered, and feed regularly about twice a week, in the evening, and not during the heat of the day. Dunno if I am accurate with that bit of info, and I stand to be corrected. Remove any leaves from ground level up to the first truss.
05/06/2008 at 13:41
read the link on joyfultomato co author states that for HUGE crops remove all leaves save three or four. has anyone tried this and found success
21 to 40 of 103 messages