London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
17/11/2009 at 20:38
Many of you mention growing trees in a large pot. But how large is a 'large' pot for trees?
23/11/2009 at 11:44
Reply to befuddled: There are large, and large, and larger still! I would suggest a minimum width of about 35-40cm (14-16in) across and at least 35cm (14in) tall. No problem choosing something larger. The bigger the pot, the more compost it holds, and greater water reserves. Make sure the pot has good drainage holes in the base, or drill some more. Place a layer of crocks or gravel in the base of the pot (about 2.5cm (1in) deep to make sure excess water drains away and drainage holes don't get plugged. Standing pots on small feet also ensure drainage holes remain clear and free-draining. Heavier materials provide greater stability than plastic pots, too.
27/11/2009 at 11:03
I have searched your site, & so far unable to find an entry on planting a grape vine. How deep do I need to dig the hole? Though it is on solid chalk, the reason I am keen to try is because Romans used to grow vines in this area in the distant past. Do I have to protect them from strong winds?
17/02/2010 at 20:42
I move dinto my house three years ago and the maple in my garden is approx 5ft tall and produced lovely yellow then orange then red leaves for the first two years and last year nothing happened I have left it this year but I am worried that it may be dead how will I know? The tree was there for several years with no problems according to neighbours, I live in an area with very heavy clay soil, can anyone save it?
11/04/2010 at 13:15
when is the best time of year to re pot a christmas tree
27/03/2011 at 12:40
Nice...what about bonsai trees? I have apple bonsai tree.
31/05/2011 at 16:50
is this a record?, my brother has a horse chestnut that i planted when i was about 7or8 it's been in the same cast iron pot the inside of a old brick copper never been 'looked after' for 50 years when it stood in my fathers garden, in the last 10 yersy brother as fed &watered it so now it has had small conkers on it
28/06/2011 at 21:20
I bought a cherry tree in April from a supermarket, I was so fresh and and the leaves were green, now the leaves are all fallen and most of them are turning brown. I know i have to change the pot but i am moving house next month, and was hopping to do it when i get there. Why am loosing all the leaves? I bought is the same day as my apple tree, but that is fine.
28/06/2011 at 21:24
I bought a cherry tree in April from a supermarket, It was so fresh and and the leaves were green, now the leaves are all fallen and most of them are turning brown. I know i have to change the pot but i am moving house next month, and was hopping to do it when i get there. Why am loosing all the leaves? I bought is the same day as my apple tree, but that is fine.
31/10/2011 at 13:44
I have bought a fruit cherry tree and apple tree from garden center and would like to now when I can repot them.
28/11/2011 at 18:31
I have two Oak trees which are around 18 years old growing in small bonsai pots which are around 14" high, They have had roots trimmed by 1/3rd about 4 or 5 times otherwise just watered in dry weather
23/01/2014 at 19:00

I have an Acer which was being thrown out at a major DIY shop 7 years now, I think it knew I loved it from the wonderful display it provides  every year.2 Spartans giving over 50 apples from each tree a chestnut from a seed now 2 feet tall still waiting for the first nut 5 years now.2 types of cherry 2 plums 1 greengage 4 other types of apples 1 damson 2 pears I also have a pear cherry and grape in the ground. They are split between my garden and allotment other fruit I have are 10 blueberries and eight red gooseberries numerous red/black  currants,  strawberry's and raspberry's and a Goji berry bush ......

23/01/2014 at 19:10

I was given a small, but quite old walnut tree in a pot last summer. I have potted it on to a larger pot. I won't know if it has survived until the spring when hopefully there will be new leaves. Am hoping to make it a 'standard' style tree.

email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages