London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 50 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
i have one in mine garden with a combination wit peony's and tree peony's hope it will work as i planned it because the big flower of the peony's and the little flowers of the verbena will contrast (srry for my english i am from holland)
24/11/2011 at 15:28
I have had this verbena in the garden for a couple of years now - it has moved from one side to the other, all by itself. This year it is a mass of butterflies all day - yesterday I counted over 17 of them at one time! My daughter now wants one in her garden too! A beautiful, structural plant - and watching the butterflies is better than watching TV!
24/11/2011 at 15:29
can anyone tell me if this is fussy about soil type? i haven't tested my soil but the marigolds have gone mad, as have the busy lizzies and sunflowers but the heathers i put in have died, don't want to lose anymore lovely plants!
24/11/2011 at 15:30
I started some from seed a couple of weeks ago after cold stratification for 3 weeks. Wasn't sure about growing them but after reading this and the comment on cannas, bamboos etc. I am sure they will go great in my garden. 7 seedlings are so far showing by the way so I am well pleased.
04/05/2012 at 21:22
I've been waiting with bated breath for 3 years nurturing what were feeble seedlings through to small plants only to sit cold and wet through 2 wet pennine summers and 2 bitter snow blown pennine winters... this year they are strong little plants peeping through campanula and liverwort soon to be swaying above Annabelle football size white flower heads in my front garden... Who needs a place to park! Plant more flowers!
05/05/2012 at 09:12

here here lazy daze.. i agree.. dont need parking.

06/05/2012 at 08:19

V.B. are not too fussy about soil. Once established and happy they will self seed everywhere.  I have grown them from seed and taken cuttings. Which I needn't have done as they are so prolific I have to weed them out now.

06/05/2012 at 09:12

i have just got hold of some small rigida ones that only grow about 2ft..so looking forward to them self seeding everywhere..

07/05/2012 at 11:08

I love this plant!  It never stays longer than one season in my garden, and never seeds itself, alas, so I usually buy half a dozen new plants every year - not too expensive as they're in small pots and classed as annuals.  This year I decided to have a go from seed in the hope of getting more plants for less money!  They're in my coldframe and not actually doing much!  I think 2 seeds have germinated so far and they've been in there for weeks!  Are they known to be slow to germinate, or is it just too cold here in snowy Aberdeenshire?  Should I continue to hope, or go to the garden centre and buy my usual half dozen grown plants?

07/05/2012 at 13:18

I grew some of these from seed last year and they did not germinate as quickly as expected.  They took so long I had practically forgotten about them when I noticed they had suddenly all come through.  They did take a long time to germinate but were totally worth it, they even survived our harsh winter so I'm looking forward to some stunning flowers this year.  Don't give up!

07/05/2012 at 18:46

i started mine off inthe greenhouse.. a bit of warmth.. and they did well.. they normally come back every ear but htis year htey are not so good.. so maybe need to grow some more.. and they didtn self seed in my garden.. but lady down road..they grow everywhere.. it is strange.

14/05/2012 at 16:08

I grew mine from a packet of free seeds early on in spring in and unheated but bubble wrapped green house. Germination was slow but I know have a dozen strong little plants which have been potted on and are waiting to go out in the garden - if the weather ever warms up!! However I am wondering whether to pinch out the growing tops as I can see side shoots down the stem. Anyone have any advice on this?

14/05/2012 at 20:58

I agree germination of these is slow but I have done them a few times now and ended up with so many I have been giving them away. They take really easily and I do get self seeded ones - if the winter isn't too harsh. I love them ! I was a bit doubtful when I read all the tosh on the seed packet about its requirements but just shoved them in my greenhouse -unheated and hey presto. Hope they do well for you.

14/05/2012 at 21:10
@twoshedgirl- no,I wouldn't pinch them out. The side shoots will go on to produce flowers of their own. V.bonariensis is by nature a tall slender plant.
14/05/2012 at 21:36

I too have grown these from seed very successfully and have then had them pop up all over the garden (and in the containers). Perhaps it depends which part of the country you're in. 

Having moved house and left my established plants behind I found some scruffy left-overs in a garden centre "reduced for quick sale" section and snapped up three large pots for 50p each. With a bit of tlc I thus have a fine clump in my border.

15/05/2012 at 01:21

I have a load of these in a seed tray from last years plant, but they've stayed tiny since about easter. Am I being an idiot leaving them where they are (no protection from the elements and slight protection from mice/slugs/snails) and should I move them somewhere much nicer?

Think I've answered my own question actually...

15/05/2012 at 12:14

Thanks figrat. I shall leve well alone. 

16/05/2012 at 12:05

I love this verbena ahd some seeds and they are now grown into lovely plants. So lovely the slugs are eating them. I cut the bottom out of plastic flower pot and put it on the soil around the plant then put slug pellets inside. The cats cant get to them that way and any slug or snail that cereeps in and dies doesnt get eaten by the birds. Well thats the theory anyway it seems to work

22/03/2013 at 10:14
Ell-Rose it is your heathers that need a different soil called ericaceous soil, that may be why it died. I always have trouble growing Verbena Bonariensis from seed and end up buying plants from the nursery.
Lyn
22/03/2013 at 10:19

I took cutting from mine last year, Sept/Oct time, just pull out some little side shoots, put in sandy compost in the greenhouse, I have about a dozen plants now.

1 to 20 of 50 messages