London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
17/05/2010 at 18:28
I have just come in from putting fleece over the more tender plants, like Canna and some of the less hardy Passiflora, thrown over the plants and held in position with clothes pegs, it saves a lot of misery in the morning. Hope the nights warm up soon!
17/05/2010 at 19:36
... and it will be easier to spray if attacked by the 'wisteria scale insect'. I had a look on a friends plant but only found the native 'soft brown scale insect' which is fairly benign? http://www.flickr.com/photos/25977589@N07/4584559786/
18/05/2010 at 10:02
hi people really sorry but this has nothing to do with wisteria,,,please help....could someone tell me where i can buy a CONCRETE birdhouse [nesting box] this year i've had terrible problems with the birdhouses being attacked by woodpecker ,they have destroyed 1 house and taken bluetit babies,the other house is still being attacked and there are still babies in that one.HELP...i have looked on line but the 1 i found is on a wire so no good and also i need to buy them in this country...its worse from 3.45am up to 8.00am when the bird is most active...strainge...............
19/05/2010 at 07:02
Sadly my very old Wisteria has suffered badly from the recent cold nights [it is much too large to cover with fleece] It was absolutely loaded with flowers which are now just hanging down soggily although where it has grown along the side of the house the flowers seem to have survived. It usually has a second flowering later in the year so hopefully it will come back
20/05/2010 at 12:14
Glad to hear that Wisteria will grow happily in a pot. I've just taken advantage of the 20% Crocus offer and purchased Black Dragon. Planted it in a large pot and trained it around a 5ft stake. Do you have any recommendations for care in the early years?
21/05/2010 at 07:55
I returned a wisteria to the garden centre after finding that the spot I had intended for it under some pebbles had only concrete and clay under there! I wish I'd thought about training it as a standard - it's a great idea. May be one for next year as my garden budget is well and truly spent for this year!
21/05/2010 at 08:23
It would have been nice to see a photo of your wisteria to give added encouragement to give it a go.
21/05/2010 at 15:24
Hi I have just been madly in love with Wisteria, especially after my visit to Turkey in April! I am planning to buy this plant but I was in dilemma as where to plant in my garden and did not find a good spot for it, so decided to plant in a big pot. I have not seen very big terracotta pots, so was thinking to plant in nice big plastic pot, will that be ok? Any other tips for this new plant? I did see video as how to prune Wisteria, I will keep that in mind. I will not have to do anything to new plant I suppose. They are quite expensive, anywhere you know to get it for good price? Thank you for reading mail and expecting reply from you. Regards Jag
21/05/2010 at 15:55
I have been growing a Wisteria in a pot since the programme G W with Alan Titchmarsh a man had to dig a massive one out of his garden and couldn't bear to get rid of it, really looked wonderful. my Daughter also grows one in a pot. and we advise not planting them against the house as they under mind the walls and many houses are in trouble because of this lovely plant.
21/05/2010 at 19:22
I too planted a wisteria in a pot about two months ago. Thanks for the tips about pruning. I hope my pot is going to be big enough! I would post a picture but havent worked out how to do it yet!
21/05/2010 at 19:33
I too have aquired a wisteria and planted in a big pot. I hope it is big enough. I would upload a picture if I knew how! Thanks for the tips re pruning!
23/05/2010 at 17:40
I saw some neat ones at www.wildlifeshop.co.uk/.../Woodcrete_boxes.html
26/05/2010 at 10:30
Reply to jag: Yes, a large plastic container will be fine, but make sure you tie the plant to supports for stability rather than trying to grow your wisteria as a free-standing specimen. You should find good value plants of named varieties in garden centres. Even small plants quickly grow. Alternatively, if you are looking for a specific variety then visit the RHS Plant Finder on their web site at www.rhs.org.uk and contact some of the nurseries that come up in your search.
29/05/2010 at 19:16
hi costco have nice ready flowering wisterias for about 25 pounds .
29/05/2010 at 19:23
my son decimated my 15 year old slow to do anything wisteria by chainsaw through the main stem it flowered for the first time last year and had amazing growth spurt this year wgen im sure it would have been its opus maximus i had a fit i actually threw the eggs i had just gathered out the chicken coop at him i was so angry but in the last two weeks it has sprung out at the bottom some new vigourous grouth and a few tendrils so it looks like it liked the overly done cut . then a friend turned up today with a new specimen in a pot which im going to put in a large rubber tub . so ive got two now . so all ends well
18/06/2010 at 22:05
22.Posted by Christine Lennon at 9:47 pm on Friday 18 June 2010 Link to comment Report comment I, too have created a cottage garden from a patch of grass. It’s in its third year now and is my haven. Being a novice, I don’t know anything about dividing plants and it’s been very hit or miss. But a joy all the same. Can anyone tell me why a hardy geranium which was burgeoning last summer now has leaves which are turning red and very small flowers? Also – a grafted aubergine plant bought earlier in the year is looking very sorry. What can I do to revive it? Christine Lennon
20/06/2010 at 13:04
I'm 11 and I need to know if there are any cut flowers that you can plant in pots now?
03/08/2010 at 15:19
I have a wisteria growing at the front of the house. Have lived here four years, one neighbour says it is at least 40 years old. It extends across the front of the house and clibs up in four places and four main branches are intertwined. It was tied back by wires attached to screws in the wall at four points up a bay window. Last November it fell down into the garden. We hauled it back up and tried to get it in its original position (looks a mess) - and cut a lot back. We needed to secure it with thin rope. It looks very untidy. It flowers rigourously in late April / early May and then again just recently. Its base is over a foot in diameter (old and narled). Two questions here - could I cut it back to a few branches near the base and train it up the walls again, tying in much better than it is now since it collapsed. Secondly, the base of the plant is right next to a wall and I suspect its roots are attached to the foundations of the house. If I got rid of it completely, does anyone know of likely problems? Thanks for any advice
13/03/2011 at 21:45
if you are looking for a specific variety then visit the RHS Plant Finder on their web site at http://www.handymenmanchester.co.uk and contact some of the nurseries that come up in your search.
28/11/2011 at 18:40
I have been growing a wisteria in a large pot for 10 years. My son had it to grow a bonsai with but it was a failure so I potted it in a large pot. It is trained up a metal washing line post with two intersecting wheels at the top. It has grown successfully ever since and at this present time is a picture.
1 to 20 of 24 messages