London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
14 messages
10/04/2012 at 10:37
And I only have to visit the Woodland Edge Garden at the Bristol Botanic Garden where A. blanda, nemorosa and pavonina among other species are carpeting the ground right now. I plant A. blanda in the green and have been successful in getting them to establish quickly. I just put a rhizome in a small pot and plant out when the flowers appear. I do the same with the Lent Lily, Narcissus pseudo narcissus. It is not just snowdrops that benefit from this so it seems to me this may be the best way to plant all woodland edge plants for quick establishment.
12/04/2012 at 11:11
Our favourite anemone has to be the bright blue Mr Fokker.
12/04/2012 at 20:48
Last year I had many Anemone Blanda established over 3/4 years. This year it's as if they have never been there.........they have simply vanished! Could they have been eaten by something? I have a lot of voles in my garden.
13/04/2012 at 11:49
Hello, I wonder if wood anemones would be any good in my very shady patch of garden, if not could you suggest any others? Thanks.
13/04/2012 at 12:37

They need a little sunshine to thrive, even if it's only early in the day. Also, I'm not sure if the flowers will open well without sun.

14/04/2012 at 15:38

We have local woods with plentiful wood anemones growing in the glades and along the verges by the road.  I'd love some for my own "woodland" which consists of a few small trees and large shrubs and which is in full sun all winter but gets shaded by foliage in summer.   There are proper bluebells in tehse wods too and wild daffs.  later the ground is covered with ferns and brambles.

A trawl through all the local plant shops and market stalls has come up empty so would I get the same effect if I planted anemone blanda next autumn?  And can anyone point me at a reputable site selling proper bluebell seeds and not those Spanish things?

15/04/2012 at 04:58
I saw the lovely white anenome at a local garden centre but it was growing in the ground as they have extensive gardens, I asked where I could find said plant to buy, ofcourse they couldn't help so I suggested that they dug a tiny piece up for me to purchase but to no avail, I have still only got anenome blanda.
15/04/2012 at 05:02

I think that The Natioal Trust and Kew Garden shops sell the real English Bluebell

16/04/2012 at 16:29
There are ancient woodlands here with loads of these anemoneth edges but not in the shad and pas along the shadier glades. There are copious wild daffs and delicious proper bluebells too in maybe their most easterly outcrop here in central, rural Belgium.

I would dearly like to have wood anemones and bluebells in my own wee woodland area that has recently been cleared at ground level so, given that I can't go and just dig them up from the wild, I've planted anemone blanda in pots with a view to putting them out in the woodland later on when I know they have good root systems. Any tips on finding bluebell seeds would be gratefull received.
16/04/2012 at 16:39

I bought a bag of A.blanda mixed last year and I'm pleased to say they put a lovely show on the rockery this spring. There should have been blue, pink and white ones in there, but only the blue ones came to flower. Do the other colours show later or was I just unlucky?

16/04/2012 at 17:44

I think that you were unlucky, although the white ones can be slightly later. Having said that, I usually have blue and white open simultaneously.

16/04/2012 at 17:46

Obelixx, this supplier has English bluebell seeds:

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/wild_image1.htm

16/04/2012 at 19:45

That nursury also have Wood anenome seeds! 

16/04/2012 at 22:46

Thanks Alina.  You are a star.  That's really helpful and no doubt they're not all I'll end up ordering.

email image
14 messages