Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Growing zinnias

I grew zinnias for the first time this year and they have flowered continuously throughout the summer and still going strong. They were easy to grow from seed and I had a good germinate rate. They do not need dead heading like petunias or cosmos and seem to withstand our hot dry conditions,

• they look gorgeous, and when it comes to plants I like I don't care if they're 'in vogue' or 'old fashioned' or just somewhere in between!
    Are they easy to grow? I get a fair bit of sunshine (when it shines) in parts of my garden, but up here in Central Scotland, it's not overly warm ... if I were to start them off in the greenhouse (which I'm hopefully purchasing later this year!) would they be ok outside when I plant the rest of my summer bedding, say in early June?
  • We grew zinnias for the first time this year, they have been spectacular, or should I say, they are spectacular, with a bit of dead heading they just keep coming. We did loose a lot of plants in the spring, but had enough survivors to put on a really good show, and will certainly grow them again.
  • Thanks for the variety recommendations Lila. I'll have to try some of these, as I prefer the single colour varieties rather than the mixes. 'Blackcurrant Cordial' sounds tasty. Pleased to hear from everyone else, too, about how well their zinnias have grown. Flowers appear very long lasting, and are sometimes recommended as cut flowers. Has anyone tried this?
  • For cut flowers, Adam, cut before the flower bud opens up. I had one orange plant from our local council's leftover sale at their nursery, a beautiful orange one. They remove the labels but I will certainly do some research to find it and try it next year from seed as I am going all out to get a Gold award in next year's "Bristol in Bloom" comp. rather than the Silver I was awarded. Zinnias were a favourite plant in Bristol when I was gardening in my former garden 50 years ago so you are right when it is considered old-fashioned but what is wrong with that when it is such a flamboyant flower?
  • I have also trialled Zinnia 'Purple Prince' for Gardening Which. I agree they are a supberb variety. Large flowers and tall sturdy plants. Will definetely grow them again.
    T
  • I went to Ball Colegrave open Evening and saw several varities in their trial beds, best of all was Zinnia Zahara 'Bonfire Mixed'. Great colours and plenty of flowers on the plants - something zinnias are not normally known for.
  • I haven't grown zinnias in my garden for about twenty years, but reading this blog has inspired me to give them another go. I remember that they are so easy to seed directly in the garden. As cut flowers, they are beautiful - their bright colours make a real statement, either grouped as a single colour or with colours mixed together! I can hardly wait!
  • I agree that Zinnias are fabulous flowers. I have grown them from seed for the past 3 years now and, usually, they bloom from early summer until the frosts but, this year, because of the dry spell in June/July, the poor things suffered badly with lots just shrivelling up! Only a few brave souls are there in the garden, trying to brighten the border. But, come the Spring, in will go even MORE seeds. They are the easiest and brightest flowers to bring brilliant colour to the garden. I love 'em!
  • I'm from Amsterdam. Last year I first tried Zinnia's on my balcony. This year I tried more verieties. After a very slow start because of the colds, they are huge now and full off flowers. Next year I'll surely trie again other varieties. Unfortunately you can't buy sigle coluer here, so it's alwaya a bit of a surprise.
  • I'm a new gardener and looking for something bright and preferably orange to grow near the front of my borders. It sounds like zinnias might be perfect... Does anyone know of any orange varieties they could recommend?